OMC 2.3, starter relay sticking

reelboat

Recruit
This boat sat up for 15 years and I am refitting her. OMC 2.3 L. Turns over fine but when I try to start it, the starter relay sticks closed. Start coil has 12 VDC when switch is in start position, 0 VDC when in run. Starter amperage draw is 133 A. I've replaced 3 relays and they all end up the same way. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm at a loss.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC 2.3, starter relay sticking

Are you sure you have the small wires connected to the starter solenoid (not relay) correctly?
The yellow/red wire goes to the S termial and the purple/black wire goes to the I terminal.

reelboat

Recruit

Yes the red/yellow wire is the coil for the starter relay. It has 12VDC when the ignition switch is in the start position and 0 VDC when in run. When the relay sticks closed the S terminal has 0 VDC. if I take the relay off the boat and ohm it out on the workbench the coil has about 5 ohms while the 2 main contacts show a short.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Loosen one of the mounting bolts, not both or you will loose the ground and see if it sticks.
If it continues to stick check the voltage on the cable on the starter and see if there is any. Sounds like the starter itself may be engages and not releasing from the flywheel.

reelboat

Recruit

Good Idea Don, Ill try it. How would that weld the contact points on the starter relay?