OMC Stern Drive won't tilt

Renfield7

Recruit
I opened the resevoir and put as much fluid as it would take. Closed the cap, cycled the motor, opened again and this time it sucked a bit of air.<br /><br />Repeated about 7 times, still no movement from the stern drive.<br /><br />The previous owner said something about filling the top and bottom. Huh?<br /><br />Any ideas? Is there a manual release? Where do I fill the bottom? How do I get it to move?

Renfield7

Recruit
Re: OMC Stern Drive won't tilt

How do I know which one? The boat is a '91 Sunbird Stinger. Where is it stamped/printed/marked?<br /><br />Sorry this is my first boat.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

It's marked on the drive OMC or Mercruiser or Volvo or... What size engine(that's marked on the engine).

motox6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it's a 91 it should be a cobra. Look at the outdrive acuators and cobra should be written on them or there should be some cobra emblems on the outdrive.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming this is a Cobra. If the boat is on a trailer you need to manually lift the drive up and block it and then fill the resevoir up to the bottom of the screw hole, there is only one (no top or bottom). If you are doing this with the drive down you're probably not getting enough fluid into the system. CAUTION...never undo that screw when the drive is down if it's working ok because the drive being down will pressurize the resevoir and fluid will come under pressure! Proper procedure for checking the level is to first raise the drive and then remove screw, fluid should be at bottom of hole. Use OMC tilt/trim fluid or Dexron II.

Renfield7

Recruit

Thanks for the help. It is an OMC. It is up on a trailer and the drive won't go down if I push it.<br /><br />It does go up, but only about 4 inches. Is that critical that I block/tie it up at this point?<br /><br />If I do block it up, will I be able to get more fluid in?<br /><br />Ya think that the US Navy would have taught me more about boats. :)