2.3L OMC Won't Start--Help

Renfield7

Recruit
Okay, so I have a 2.3L Ford/OMC. New plugs, new coil, new timing belt, new fuel/water separator, carb float bowl disassembled and cleaned.<br /><br />It will start at full throttle after pumping alot and will run for about 2 - 3 seconds then quit. I can get this to happen twice before I have to recharge the battery.<br /><br />The fuel pump is pumping (halfway across the boat when I disassembled the fuel line and cranked the engine).<br /><br />I have worked on car engines most of my life, but this definately has me stumped.<br /><br />We just got the boat second hand. The previous owner says that it was running fine previous to being winterized; however, the engine was timed 180-degrees the wrong way. This makes me a bit skeptical so I am basically starting from scratch. I re-timed the engine (best I could without it running).<br /><br />In short: HELLLLLPPPPP!!!

Lil Fesot

Cadet
Re: 2.3L OMC Won't Start--Help

My suggestion is to make sure your cam timing marks are aligned when at TDC (this can be viewed through the inspection plug). Then make sure the distributor is set with the rotor pointing at #1 and from there make sure the plug wires are installed clockwise 1,3,4,2 and make sure the plug wires are firmly seated on the spark plugs. Additionally check the points. They should be set to .025 or if you have a dwell meter the dwell should be 37 - 41. This can be set without the engine running. Lastly if the points are correct and look to be in good condition, the condenser although not usually the primary culprit could also be faulty. Since it is not easy to check, replace it to have piece of mind. One other thought, if your boat is equipped with an emergency kill switch you might want to make sure that it is not the cause.<br />I have just been down this road with my 2.3L Ford/OMC and I feel your pain....

PieceOfShip

Cadet

Heres a question on the same subject... do the timing marks on the plastic cover start at ZERO? or does it start at -10? I just put mine back together and cant get it to start. is cranks and sounds like it wants to start, but wont. I was guessing the timing might be off since i set it to look like the picture in the manual. which shows the second large tick mark to be the ZERO mark. the picture in the manual actually says ZERO, but mine has no number markings, just tick marks...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Renfield<br />Start by telling us what Year and Model you are working on. Is it a OMC Cobra or a OMC Stringer? <br /><br />To start you only need 3 things.<br /><br />1: Compression. 130 PSI in each cylinder so do a compression check.<br /><br />2: Proper Fuel Air mix. After your compression check you will have air in each cylinder. Squirt some fuel in each cylinder put the plugs in and the wire on and crank it. If it fires and dies then likely not getting fuel and have a plugged jet or float stuck shut, but can be a closed choke, float stuck open, or fuel pump vent line flooding the engine. Be careful with fuel but you can pull the flame arester and squirt some fuel in the top of the carb and see if it starts. Also check the choke. If your not sure if dry or flooding pull a plug and check.<br /><br />3: Properly timed spark. You can check this with a timing light while cranking. As noted above with the cylinder 1 on the compression stroke and crank at top dead center pull the distributer cap and make sure the roter is pointed to the number 1 spark plug wire and the points are open. Gap for my 3.0 should be .018 and dwell is 31 to 34. Fireing order is 1 3 4 2. Put the timing light on number 1 and adjust timing to proper specs. My 3.0 is 4 degrees before top dead center.<br /><br />Since you changed the timing belt I will add one more.<br /><br />4: Proper Crank / Cam timing. Make sure your crank and cam marks line up right at top dead center for number 1 compression stroke.

Lil Fesot

Cadet

For 87 and 88 the 2.3L Ford timing should be set to 9 degrees BTDC for 89 octane fuel.

PieceOfShip

Cadet

ok, i got the 9 Dbtdc, but....<br /><br />the plastic cover with the tick marks for the crankshaft has no number setting for any of the marks. So i have no idea which is zero, hence no place to start from. i guess i can put a stick in the #1 plug and see when it stops going up and the starts going down?

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take a jumper wire and go from the batt.12v to the coil + side.If it starts and runs you have a problem with the resistor wire in the harness.Maybe it's not a fuel problem.disconnect the jumper to shut off the eng.

gtaeza

Seaman

You have to check first your gas line, disconnect<br />fitting that connects to the carb start and find out if gas is coming out; check or adjust your carb air/gas mixture. If too much gas sometimes it backfires so adjust the mixture little by little. If you pulled out the carb make sure the gasket seat properly on the manifold.