1973 4hp steering

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I picked up a 4hp serial number 3533361 it is in very good shape everything appears functional except the tiller steering is frozen. I've sprayed penetrating oil on the joints, but it's stuck solid. I don't want to use too much brute force, but what can I do? any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks....Robert

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 4hp steering

Hellllp! I can't get it to break free. I've search the archives and found not much. I tried moderate heat to no avail. There should be a zerk fitting on the hinge pin housing, but there is not( my 6hp motor has one) Surely others have had this happen and may know what to do. Any help and I'll be grateful. Thanks.....Robert

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I guess I'm just going to have to talk to myself on this. Either it is off little interest, no one knows or I've made everyone angry. I'm sorry if that's the case......Robert

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For those are interested. I got it loose and here is how I did it. In the aluminum housing for the pivot pin, I drilled four # 20 holes spaced from top to bottom about 3" I drilled down till I hit the rusty pivot pin. I then tapped each hole with a 10/32 bottoming tap. I tilted the motor up horizontal and liberally poured kroil penetrating oil in each hole. I then threaded in a zerk fitting in each hole and gave each fitting a couple of strokes on the grease gun to pressurize each and drive the koil into the hole. I let sit for 24 hours. This morning I remove the zerks, lower the motor down to verticle and c-clamped a 5 foot long 2X4 to the bottom of the pivot bracket. While pulling on the tiller arm and pushing with my leg, on the 2X4 I got it to break free. After a 20 minute work out of moving back and forth and spraying more kroil, copious amounts of rusty crud came out the holes. It now works very freely. I'll soak it all night tonight. tomorrow I will blow it all off clean it stick the zerk fitting in and see if it will take grease, if it does fine I'll be done and put this motor on a regular lube schedule.........Robert