OMC/Volvo Penta SX Cobra...need help replacing this outdrive

RaiderGrad78

Cadet
Ok, here's the deal.

I cracked my lower gear case two years ago and have spent two summers now trying to find a replacement empty lower gear case to put everything back into. The problem is finding the lower that matches the upper. I'm done trying to find just a replacement gear case and paying someone to take a month to get around putting it all back together for me and then finding out I'm still missing a bunch of little parts they can't get. I've concluded that it will be much easier for me in the long run to just replace it with a complete used outdrive.

This came off a 1994 Four Winns Horizon 200 with the Ford 5.0FI motor. The serial plate says OMC Cobra but the cover on the back of the upper unit says Volvo Penta SX Cobra. What the heck is this thing? Is it an SX, an SX-C, an SX-C1, a joint venture edition?? I've been told all of the above by different vendors.

I have been told that any Volvo SX outdrive should work as long as it is the same gear ratio (1.60). Does that mean I can put either an SX-M or an SX-C on it??

I have found several on ebay for prices I'm willing to pay but I want to make sure that it is going to fit right into my bell housing and all that before I get stuck with something I can't use.

Shops around here either won't return my calls, can't find the part number in their system, or don't work on boats older than 5 years.

Does anyone here know if any Volvo Penta SX type drive will work as a replacement?

UPPER_UNIT_1.jpg

UPPER_UNIT_SERIAL_NUMBER.jpg

UPPER_UNIT_TRANSOM_SIDE.jpg

UPPER_UNIT_SHIFT_LINKAGE.jpg

LOWER_UNIT.jpg

LOWER_UNIT_FACE_PLATE.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC/Volvo Penta SX Cobra...need help replacing this outdrive

You do have the OMC version of the SX, and yes it's from the joint venture.
If you are looking for a complete drive, any 1.60 ratio SX drive will fit the bellhousing.
You could even go to a DP drive if you wanted to. Find a nice 1.95 ratio DP and have at it.

RaiderGrad78

Cadet
Re: OMC/Volvo Penta SX Cobra...need help replacing this outdrive

Thanks so much for your help Don!