1964 Johnson seahorse 18hp carburetor rebuild.

I just recently purchased the rebuild kit for my carburetor here at iboats.com. As I stated in the title the motor is a 1964 Johnson Seahorse 18hp (Model# FD-18E). First time running the motor I lost one cylinder. After inspection the ignition system it appeared that the point gap was off, but everything else looked good. I reset the gap, and put the correct plugs in it. The motor was running pretty good, but still at times would kinda cut out or try to bog down so since the motor had been sitting for two years in a guys back yard I thought it would be a good idea to rebuild the carburetor. So my first question would be what all will I need? I already have removed the carburetor and plan to take it apart tonight and soak it in berryman's carb cleaner. It looks like all that came with the rebuild kit was gaskets, seals, etc.. No float. Is this something else that I should go ahead and buy? Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Johnson seahorse 18hp carburetor rebuild.

If the float looks good, not peeling, gummed, discolored... reuse it. Upon inspection, if it looks otherwise, purchase a new float.

Make sure that you manually clean the high speed jet that is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber with a piece of single strand steel wire. Solvent alone really doesn't do the job properly.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

I assume that you're using Champion J4C or J6C plugs gapped at .030? The J6C may provide somewhat improved performance.

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I rebuilt my Evinrude 40hp BigTwin last year and didn't find it as hard as I thought it would be. I pictures as I took it apart in case I needed a reference. I took the carb off and removed the float bowl,float and high speed needle. I soaked everything but the float in carb cleaner for a day. Then with a air-compressor I blew it out, and made sure everything was clean. All the passages need extra cleaning to make sure there's no obstructions. Don't stick anything abrasive in them, wires etc to clean, just use lots of cleaner and air. Check your high speed needle and make sure it looks like a perfectly sharpened pencil. There was some debates on whether to buy a new needle or sand down the existing one and I just sanded mine down very carefully with fine sand paper. It doesn't have to be perfect. All in all it wasn't too bad. I went slow and studied everything as I went and thanks to the help here on Iboats my Rude started on the first turn. I just touched the key and she was purring. :)

kbait

Commander

You should check spark w/a tester. Spark must jump 1/4" blue bolt in open air to be acceptable. Anything less, or if it's yellow, or intermittent, spark isn't good yet. I bet 264,000 functional carbs have been rebuilt due to poor spark.

Ok, The carb is soaking right now in the cleaner. Took it apart lastnight and the high speed needle looked like a very well sharpened pencil. The low speed needle or the one at the bottom of the carburetor does not come to a point at all and I don't see how it could be adjusted really. It looks like it just gets threaded in until it bottoms out. Is thsi normal? Also what all should I remove other than the float while the carb is soaking?

You should check spark w/a tester. Spark must jump 1/4" blue bolt in open air to be acceptable. Anything less, or if it's yellow, or intermittent, spark isn't good yet. I bet 264,000 functional carbs have been rebuilt due to poor spark.

What kind of spark tester would you suggest? And to do this i am assuming I will need to just pull away on the rope and watch for the spark.

kbait

Commander

I made mine.. if you search this forum you'll see how. Most folks just buy a spark tester w/adjustable gap at autozone for about $8. It tests one lead at a time. It definitely takes the guesswork out of ignition diagnosis. I suppose you could use an old spark plug gapped to 1/4" and hold it to ground on the motor for the same result, but it's not really a one-person operation. Mine is a block of wood w/3 screws in it. The center one is hooked to a wire with a clip that connects to the engine block, the other 2 are connected to plug wires w/a screw off spark plug top soldered to the end of each that you can stick in the plug boots of the motor your testing. The screw heads are 1/4" apart, and I can bend 'em to adjust the gap. 1/4" for pointset motors and 5/16" for CD. And you just give the recoil a good pull, or rope wrap the flywheel if the recoil is removed from your test subject. My dad thinks I'm a genius.. but I'm just humbled by what I've learned (and continue to learn) from the real geniuses that post here everyday... Thanks guys!

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, The carb is soaking right now in the cleaner. Took it apart lastnight and the high speed needle looked like a very well sharpened pencil. The low speed needle or the one at the bottom of the carburetor does not come to a point at all and I don't see how it could be adjusted really. It looks like it just gets threaded in until it bottoms out. Is thsi normal? Also what all should I remove other than the float while the carb is soaking?

I'm not sure of the exact setup of your carb but I would say that's fine. As long as the needle didn't break inside. Check the needle carefully to make sure there is a machined edge and no signs of breakage. After the soak, blow it out really well and spray addtional cleaner in the passages and then blow them out too. Make sure the carb is completely dry before you reassemble. Also be very careful not to over tighten the float bowl screws, it can warp the bowl. After you have it all together take the carb and hold it upside down and blow through the intake. It should be air tight. If not your float/needle isnt seated right and you'll have to re-seat it. I'll check back with you in a day or so. Good luck bro.

Finally...I had time to put the carburetor back together and back onto the boat. I must have done everything right because the motor seems to be running pretty good. However I did notice that when adjusting the top needle valve (Highspeed i think) there was a point at which it would run perfect, but the vibration from the motor easly turns the needle out of the best position. When I would rev the motor up a bit and then go back to idle speed the engine would cut out, and I noticed that the top needlve valve had worked its way all the way closed. Has this happened to anybody else?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi nathan. try tightening down the brass packing nut that the needle passees through once you have the needle set where you want it. this should keep it from vibrating loose while underway. you shouldn't have to fuss with it after that. kep us posted.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The top (sharpened to a needle like point) adjustable valve is the "Slow Speed" valve.

The bottom valve is the "High Speed" valve (jet)

The top (sharpened to a needle like point) adjustable valve is the "Slow Speed" valve.

The bottom needle valve is the "High Speed" valve.

Thank you for the clarification. In that case the high speed valve on mine does not coem to a point at all and does not appear to be adjustable. Is this normal?

kfa4303

Banned

The blunt tip is correct, but it should be adjustable. try loosening the brass nut the needle passes through rather than tigtening it per my earlier suggestion. that should then allow you to adjust the hi speed needle itself. the follow Joe Reeves' earlier post about the carb settings and adjustments. keep us posted. you're almost there. once youget them set you won;t have to worry about them again for quite a while.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The 1964 18hp model does not have a adjustable high speed needle valve, it has a high speed jet which is located in the center bottom portion of the float chamber. Make sure that this high speed jet is absolutely clean.

If you have a carburetor with two (2) adjustable needle valves, you have the wrong carburetor on the engine.