Bunks have no carpet on them (Question) how to take off trl

Bigbobdallas

Seaman
I bought a used 20' pontoon and the person I bought it from said the never used it with carpet on the bunks. To me that does not make good since. Will this work. I think trl should have carpet on the bunks. Also can you tell me how to do this since I can't unload boat.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: My Bunks have no carpet on them (Question)

I'm incredulous Bigbob. Are we talking about standard 2x4 or 2x6 wood bunks? If so, did you see the bottom of the toons before you bought the boat? You are correct that the bunks should be carpeted or somehow padded unless they're constructed from some kind of material that's designed to be used bare. I'm cringing as I imagine the PO driving the barge onto naked wooden bunks and scratching the toons to perdition.:facepalm: Surely I'm missing something here.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last week at the river there was a boat parked next mine that had bare wood bunks. First time I had ever seen that. There were comments from several people about how strange that was.

Glenn

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, you need carpet or a protector. Search here and you'll finds lots of info on how to lift your boat from the trailer if you don't want to carpet the bunks at a boat ramp.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Do you knwo anyone with a peir you could park it at for a day to get this done, maybe a marina would rent you a slip for a day or 2 btu either way you need to get the boat off to do this and soon, yikes.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hey Cubby, I thought you bought a dandy new trailer from PS recently. Am I confuzzing you with someone else?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can cut the carpet at home and do the job at a boat ramp in about an hour. Buy or borrow a hand stapler and some stainless staples. If you have a small inverter, an inexpensive electric stapler will make the job much easier.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

SS Staples, How long do they have to be.Or should I ask what size? I was planning on using nails but this sounds better.

Bigbobdallas

Seaman

What would be the best way to get the pontoon out from under the trailer if I was wanting to do this a home. I would like to paint the trl and all if I good figure of a way to put it on something to just hold it of ground till I worked on trl.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hey Cubby, I thought you bought a dandy new trailer from PS recently. Am I confuzzing you with someone else?

I am confuzzing you with someone else. Please pay no attention to the prematurely senile poster.:eek:

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use Monel Staples not SS.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm curious....how can wood scratch metal, especially when it's wet?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The worst gouging would occur when the toons make initial contact with the corners of the bunks. Beyond that, just the weight of the boat pressing them into the bunks during loading and when encountering bumps on the road would cause scratches anywhere there's a blemish on the wood. Plus, the life of the bunks would be shortened significantly. Will the carpetless bunks cause the boat to sink? Nope. But, they sure aren't good for her.

Jeep Man

Commander

What would be the best way to get the pontoon out from under the trailer if I was wanting to do this a home. I would like to paint the trl and all if I good figure of a way to put it on something to just hold it of ground till I worked on trl.

You read my reply to the same question by ONERCBOATER a couple of weeks ago. Does this method not work for you for some reason?

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

ha yeah Incoop that was me that bought the new trailer and it's probably one of the nicest trailers i've seen on the market right now.