Felpro SBC Head Gasket Problem

Flysfloatsor

Banned
I installed the new Stainless steel w/ Rubbery coating felpro marine head gaskets last night on my new 383 Stroker.

I inspected them carfully and some of the rubber coating was not uniform. I really wish I had pictures. It seemed like a manufacturing defect.

I installed them anyway, but ever since I torqued the last ARP head bolt Ive been worried sick.

I installed them because my thought process was this, felpro's pretty much the leader in Marine head gaskets, top quality, nitrous drag race guys use these things.. .they wouldnt let something as important as a head gasket leave the factory defective for sure...

I couldnt deal with the worring any longer so I called the online place I got them (HUGE name place) they were dic#s about it and started the finger pointing.

(keep in mind I cradled these things like a newborn infant) Now I have to pull them circle the area I think is defective and send them back for THEM to determine if they are defective.

Any thoughts?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Felpro SBC Head Gasket Problem

Howdy,

It's too late for "I-told-you-so's" AND I didn't tell you anything anyway.......

BUT for others watching this channel, I would probably get my head gaskets locally, even from NAPA since they do supply Felpro. That way you can "take it back" easily.

Sorry about that...... I hope it works out.....

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

I installed them anyway,

Ayuh,... Yer alittle Late to be returning Used gaskets...

I'd Light it, 'n see what happens...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,... Yer alittle Late to be returning Used gaskets...

I'd Light it, 'n see what happens...

Yeah. I agree...... I would have tried it before pulling it apart..........

When you get the new gaskets..... Look them over carefully!

Flysfloatsor

Banned

I took them off and called the sent them back to Summit. Normally they are good with returns. Im fairly confident they will see my POV, I circled the defect on the gasket.

Called Napa, the guy didnt know anything. And they are especially helpless when I cant provide a year make and model of the car I want the marine specific head gaskets for... Jegs even failed me.

I bought them from another place.

Summit seemed receptive to having me send them back and taking a look. After taking them off I think they will see the issue to. some of the rubber coating was raised or smudged about a few thou/in. Which in head gasket terms, is enough.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

At NAPA, you have to reference their own marine catalog.

You should also do a little research on your own.

I found the following at Marineparts.com

http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf540.aspx

A 383 is still a SBC. Felpro makes a gasket for just about every engine out there in radio land.......

I did a little more nosing around and found that the Mercruiser 377 and the Black Scorpion (SBC) both use a 27-75611 head gasket.

My Napa Marine catalog crosses that to Napa's own part number (Sierra) 18-3876

Going to Napa online,

Here's the link to Napa:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=SME183876_0215382616

just select "no" for specific vehicle

It's a little cheaper here on iBoats!

http://www.iboats.com/Head-Gasket-Sierra/dm/view_id.172353

Yahoo search is my friend!!!

Flysfloatsor

Banned

I was looking at the NAPA online catalog as I was speaking to him on the phone. I found a listing for felpro SBC Marine Head Gasket but only for a 305 (3.8ish inch bore) but no 350 (gaskets have slightly over 4 inch hole size)

I said "would you like the 305 marine head gasket part number to cross refrence?" NAPA guy reply "na, thats not going to help me." followed by 30 seconds of silence. I promptly exited the conversation then.

I was actually trying to follow your advice and trying to source them locally (NAPA, Jegs). In the end, I found them in 15 seconds online and had them overnighted.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I was looking at the NAPA online catalog as I was speaking to him on the phone. I found a listing for felpro SBC Marine Head Gasket but only for a 305 (3.8ish inch bore) but no 350 (gaskets have slightly over 4 inch hole size)

I said "would you like the 305 marine head gasket part number to cross refrence?" NAPA guy reply "na, thats not going to help me." followed by 30 seconds of silence. I promptly exited the conversation then.

I was actually trying to follow your advice and trying to source them locally (NAPA, Jegs). In the end, I found them in 15 seconds online and had them overnighted.

Some of the NAPA folks don't even know they have a Marine catalog at their fingertips!!!

Bondo

Staff member

A 383 is still a SBC. Felpro makes a gasket for just about every engine out there in radio land.......

Ayuh,... Guess I'm alittle late, but,...
What I've done is search the Fel-pro # for the application I'm needin'...
Then just tell the Napa guy the exact part # to order....

I'm Lucky,.... Great crew at my local store,...
1 guy is into VWs, as much as I am Boats,...
He took the time to find the Fel-pro #s for the single piece carbon/ graphite exhaust manifold gaskets for me....
Most of the 1s for cars are 3 pieces, 'n ya can't hold 'em in-place....

Overnight on most parts, 2 days for a few....

Flysfloatsor

Banned

Pan is on.
Canton Racing has been a bear to deal with. None of their parts seem to mesh. How do you post a pic?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Pan is on.
Canton Racing has been a bear to deal with. None of their parts seem to mesh. How do you post a pic?

The best way is to use a free photo hosting service like Photobucket.

You upload your pictures to their site. then you just enter the link to the photo in your forum message displays the picture from the link. You can even use it in emails.

Your way worked too!!!:D

Flysfloatsor

Banned

Just looked at those pics again and got depressed because I realized my garage looks like my dads when hes working. All mad scientist-y.