Paint, bottom or just rusto

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have some paint questions and hoping that Bond-o will just in here. I am looking to paint my 67 Islander and plan on using rusto to do the job. My question is do I need to use a bottom paint as it will be in the water about a month at a time during spring and fall salmon season. I plan on using the rusto clean metal primer and the high performance protective enamel, I would use a ZC primer on the bare metal first though. I guess I am just a little confused and need some advice on what to do. I am a ways off from painting but just trying to get stuff ordered as I can so when I am ready I can just do it.

Thanks for any and all input guys.
Kelly

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Paint, bottom or just rusto

How you been KellyC?
I think for extended stays in water...You may want to use the marine version of trusty rusty..
I used standard rusty just cause shes on the trailer (and cow pasture) more than water..lol

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely use a bottom paint. I used topside on mine, and the directions say it can only be in the water for 2 days at a time. Mine's dry docked.

KellyC

How you been KellyC?
I think for extended stays in water...You may want to use the marine version of trusty rusty..
I used standard rusty just cause shes on the trailer (and cow pasture) more than water..lol

I have been good CBK and hope you are the same.
Yea I was thinking the bottom paint was going to need to be used but was hoping not.
I also understand that the rusty is very good and holds up well to fencese and cow pastures. Mine will be on a trailer a lot as well, just during the salmon season I would like to slip her. I only live a few blocks from the marina and it would be so handy with a slip rather than a trailer. During the salmon seasons the parking can get really crowded for trailers and just a royal pain.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would not use bottom paint on an aluminum hull even with a barrier of paint in between. You'll have the dissimilar metal thing going on and the hull will corrode. There is lots of talk on this subjuct around here. Some of the guys will sniff this out and chime in.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think all bottom paint has copper in it Michael and there's probably some made specifically for metal hulls.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes EZ your right, there are bottom paints for aluminum just make sure thats what its for with no copper. My PO used a bottom paint that must have benn the copper stuff and when I start my resto thread you'll see why I'm against it. Its ugly man!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I gotta Disagree with the above posters,...

My old Starcraft used to be a Trailer Queen, back when I went with the Rustoleum on her bottom...
5 seasons ago, I bought a couple of riverhouses...
She's been docked every year since, from May to November...
She's Still got her Rustoleum bottom paint...
I scrape it in the worse spots each spring, roll/ brush on more Rustoleum to the bad spots, 'n relaunch her...

A month in the water, won't hurt a Thing...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Bondo, Rusoleum Professional Oil Based will stand up very well for long term immersion. Not sure about Salt Water but fresh water it does pretty well. It WILL stain but easy enuf to sand and re-coat.

KellyC

Ayuh,...

A month in the water, won't hurt a Thing...

Woooohooooooo Bond-o you the man and just the person I was waiting to hear from.

Not sure about Salt Water but fresh water it does pretty well. It WILL stain but easy enuf to sand and re-coat

She will be slipped in the river here, she might see salt but very seldom at that. Thanks for your input as well Wood, it means a lot as well.

Yea Jason and CBK, I agree. Have to love this stuff and easy to touch up as well. Man these guys have just made my day with this information, exactly what I was looking for.
Kelly

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's it..I'll stop looking at different paints and go with the Rusto. Mine will be a fresh water girl while she's mine so I'm not worried.
Thanks bondo and woodonglass for your input!

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did find out that the designs on the sides of the older Ski Nautiques are Rusoleum Professional Oil Based

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I gotta say I'm real impressed with Rusto oil-based enamel also. I spilled some in a couple of places in my bilge and after it cured I almost needed a jackhammer to get it off.