Ns40c no power

Zbhsmith

Cadet
I posted the other day about the engine shuting off on the water. i took it home and flushed the fuel system and adjusted the carb some more. I let the engine run for about 30 min and it would rev up great. the engine was sounding good. So i took it out on the water. started up fine, went to take off and had no power what so ever. barley would move. if i throttled back it would die. i could get to start again by choking it once and then starting it. would not start up immediate , it would take few mins turning over but would start up. put it into gear quickly, and no power would not rev up, putted back to the dock. Is this gonna be a fuel pump problem. I took the inlet hose to the carb off and turned the engine over. I placed my finger over part of the hose and it seems to have a good stream of fuel flowing through. Like ive pointed out before this is a Nissan ns40c but has a Yamaha fuel pump from PO. Any help would be greatly appreciated, trying to get this thing running so I can take my boys out on a fishing trip.

captmick39

Cadet
Re: Ns40c no power

-DISCLAIMER-
I'm not a 'guru', nor have I ever owned Your particular model motor.

That said, it sounds like a supply side problem IN the Carborator. This could be because of a clogged strainer or filter in the carb, or clogged/crap filled channel above the float's jet needle valve that, like a toilet float allows fuel to flow in to the bowl as it drops from existing fuel being consumed. It sounds like that 'clog' is keeping You from getting enough fuel to keep it running, and definitely from running at anything above idle. Dead giveaway (MAYBE) is that when You leave it OFF for a couple minutes (as fuel TRICKLES Past the clog and re-fills the float bowl), it will start right up again. Try disconnecting the fuel line, draining the float bowl, float, carefully removing the float needle (invariably held in place by the float, but seated in a SPRING that will send it flying across the room)and see what kind of garbage You have sitting on top of that needle? grab a can of carb cleaner and use liberally, and be careful when removing the bowl itself...they usually have a gasket that can be damaged in this process. IF You had a bunch of trash on top of that needle, You may have licked it for now...maybe not. I'd recommend if You're planning on 'counting on it' (as in Your sons out on the water with You)...I'd take the carb to a pro's shop and have 'em rebuild it, unless You're very mechanically inclined, can get a rebuild kit, have small screwdrivers, good work space, shop manual, plenty of patience and liberal amounts of that carb cleaner. Hope this helps (and avoid Ethanol 'enhanced' gasoline if there's any way You can!)
-mick