Onboard Battery Charger

nclex2011

Cadet
Hey guys, I'm considering purchasing a 19 foot pontoon within the next year or so, with electrical power being heavily relied upon. My question is what is the point of an "on board charger" and how does this benefit anyone? It seems as if it's no more than a battery that charges another battery... I don't see the point when you could just instead buy another battery, and switch the wires of whatever you're providing juice to from the dead one to the fresh one. I realize it's not good to keep a battery dead for a long time also, maybe this is the point, to keep it from going completely dead while on the water? Fill me in guys, I can't get any direct reason from the web. Thanks

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Onboard Battery Charger

An on board battery charger is not a battery charging another battery, however a 'jump-box' basically is.

A permanently installed on-board charger is a 110v powered device that, when plugged in or run by generator, supplies a constant trickle charge to your battery(s) to maintain them at optimum level. A quality trickle (smart) charger will shut itself off when the battery reaches it's charge capacity and will monitor the battery, activating again once the charge drops. However, this has to be plugged into a 110v outlet for operation.

If you are depleting the battery's life while powering devices and are worried about the ability to start the engine, you have a few options available:

1) Put in a second dedicated 'house' battery on a selector switch. This allows you to be away from the dock, run all electrical devices, and reserve an isolated battery for starting the engine when ready. However, this would entail you remembering to set the selector switch to battery "2" when out or you run the risk of killing both batterys if left on the "both" setting. If you continue to deplete the house battery running stereos & what not, your battery life will be drastically reduced.

2) Get a jump box. This is basically a portable, encased motorcycle battery that is kept in a fully charged state (by you) when not on the boat for emergency jump starting in the event you kill the starting battery. This is NOT a recommended way to spend the weekends, but it is a good idea to have one aboard when out for extended periods of time. You can find them relatively cheap now ($50-$75), but you have to assure that it is fully charged. Also, it's nice to have when you come across another boater that has a dead battery.

3) Invest in a small portable generator. These little 450-1100 watt units are anywhere from $450-$1200, but they can be used to supply 110v power for on board 110v devices and if you have a trickle charger, you can plug it into the genset set while out and have it constantly charging the batteries while you're using the 12v power for other things. Most larger boats have the set up, although it's permanently installed (genset runs the battery charger while lights/fridge/stereo burn battery power).

All in all, I would recommend a second battery installed on a selector switch. Have this done by a professional. This will assure that you have a dedicated starting battery and all other items are isolated to the largest spare battery. make sure you are fully aware how the switch is set up and use it correctly.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On-board chargers are available in two forms -- as was pointed out, one style is simply a very low output (1.5 - 2 amp) "trickle charger" that can be left plugged in continuously. These are not designed to recharged a deeply discharged battery. More robust on-board chargers are available with single, dual, triple and even quad outputs rated at anywhere from 4 to 20 amps per output. I agree that in your case a dual battery setup is required and again, there are other options than a dual battery switch. An automatic charge relay (ACR) is available that allows the starting battery to remain totally isolated from the house circuits. The engine will always charge the starting battery until it is topped off. It then automatically switches to the house battery. They are available with a "combine" feature as well. However, for utmost flexibility and economy you can't beat a dual battery switch. They are discussed to death on this forum -- just do a search. Diagrams are included.

nclex2011

Cadet

Thanks alot for your great replies. Both outlined alot of key points clearly. Seems like for my purposes the dual battery setup will be the most practical. With the expectation that this setup will remain permanent, an onboard charger also makes sense.