Temperature gauge revisited

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
The old thread was closed so sorry for re-opening it.

I want to add a dash temperature gauge and found an electric one with a 1/8" npt threaded sender.

So now I need to remove the slotted screw on the top of the motor but I have already broken two slotted bits on my impact driver and if I hit it much harder I'm afraid of cracking the block.

If I apply heat, is it going to damage any of the gaskets that seem pretty close to the screw?

Ideas or suggestions on how to remove the screw safely?

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Temperature gauge revisited

this is what I did when I couldnt get mine out,I wound up taking the thermostat cover and drilled and tapped the lower portion of the tstat cover and installed the sender there, works great, good luck Don

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

Can you use the existing overheat sensor spot? Its held in with a circlip?

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

How thick is the thermostat cover? Will it be deep enough and thick enough to hold the sensor securely?

I'd like to keep the overheat sensor and buzzer 'just in case' but on mine, it looks to be screwed in - probably using the same 1/8" npt - but does it actually go into a water jacket or is it just a head metal temperature sensor?

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know how much room your thermo cover has- I suppose be careful when drilling out. If you can't re-tap it, maybe consider a helicoil? I don't know if you can get a new thermo cover for your engine ( I don't know what you have :) ). It would more than likely be available if you completely stuff yours up. POst your engine details and I'm happy to help where I can. Frank and Jerry are the site guru's, and will for sure have more to say!

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya i broke bits on my impact driver to... i ended up using a large craftsman screw driver it has a square shank..i put a large set of vise grips on the shank, i had someone push down on the screw driver while i twisted with the vise grips... i did this with my motor on a stand and was able to get it loose..if yours it on your boat still itll be more stable..

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, 1984 Chrysler 125

Thanks Josh - I might try that idea if the impact doesn't work - I'm borrowing a lump hammer to see if that works better than the regular hammer

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just managed to remove the stainless steel screw on the top of my 1984 Chrysler 125. I broke 2 bits on my hand held impact driver, tried heating it etc and it would not move.
A friend came round with is 20V Lithium Impact Driver and in 6 seconds had it removed! I SO want one of those :)

Anyway, a quick trip to Lowes got me a 1 1/2" 1/8" extension, a T, a 1/4 OD compression fitting to 1/8" adapter, some 1/4" OD pipe and a quick fit screw on connector.

The pictures are pretty self explanatory but I simply drilled into the lower cowling and screwed the plastic adapter into it until the chamfered end was just proud of the outside of the cowling and then used hot glue to secure it on the inside.
IMG_0307.JPG

The open end of the T will be for the temperature sender that's on it's way - as there will be continuous flow of hot water it should be fairly accurate even though it's not directly in the head water (the sensor is too long to fit directly into the hole in the head)
IMG_0306.JPG

While I was at it, I also replaced the old 8 gauge solenoid to starter cable with a 2 gauge one that I had lying around. I had noticed how hot that cable got when the engine wouldn't start quickly so it seemed much too small a gauge. 4 would have worked too but I just happened to have a 2 gauge cable already.
IMG_0308.JPG

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice job. I gave up trying to get the screw out, fear of damaging something. But I will give it another attempt with one of those more powerful impact driver.

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeh, it blew me away with just how powerful it was. I had asked him if I could borrow a 10# lump hammer but when I explained why I wanted it (to beat the cr@p out of the screw LOL) he handed me his 'electric drill' - I had no idea what that thing can do and it just amazed me.

I just missed one on eBay this morning but I'm going to get one!