Alarm

stripersnipe

Cadet
I had a problem two weeks ago where i lost fire on one side. Its a evinrude xp150 89 model. I noticed a set of wires unplugged when I took the top of and thought that was the problem. Finally I replaced a bad power pack to fix my boat. Well the other day my fisrt time out with new power pack after 5 min a alarm went off. It went off every few min and sometimes quit beeping when I idled it down or would just go off. I just got a water pump put in and it seems to be pumping. I was wondering if it had something to do with that set of wires that was unhooked. The previous owner took the oil system out and I mix it with the gas and maybe it has something to do with that. Any suggestions?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alarm

That's probably the problem..... you've reconnected a sensor that should have been left undone. Check thru the following to correct if needed.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.