Bending Plywood

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to bend 1/2" plywood. The piece is approx 12" x 10" and is for a back rest for a bow seat.
It needs to have a bow is approx 1"
What is the best method for bending?
I don't want to pull on the fiberglass of the hull in case I damage it.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bending Plywood

I need to bend 1/2" plywood. The piece is approx 12" x 10" and is for a back rest for a bow seat.
It needs to have a bow is approx 1"
What is the best method for bending?
I don't want to pull on the fiberglass of the hull in case I damage it.

You can steam bend plywood, but a piece that small I've just wrapped it in some really hot towels. Make a temp jig to the shape you need plus a little (to allow for spring). When dries it will hold it's shape. Use exterior plywood as the glue will resist the moisture of the bending process much better.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

An old trick I've used in building radio control scale model boats is to soak the plywood in an ammonia water solution. The ammonia will allow you to bend and clamp the ply around a fixture or mandrel. Once it dries it holds the form. You'd have to soak it for a few hours in your bath tub with ammonia added to the water. I don't remember what the ratio was, but I'd say a 10% solution would work.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Heat gun and a jig made to the specifications that you need, it will take a bit of time, but the heat gun will soften the glue up, then place in the jig and continue to heat until it is very warm, then let it cool, make the bend in the the jig a bit more pronounced than you actually need it as the plywood will spring back a bit when released and cools. The help a bit, you can also soak as was mentioned, use an ammonia solution and get it good and wet..

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips. I think I will try the hot wet towel method first clamp it into a jig/form.

Thanks again

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would cut 3/16" kerfs in the back side. Bend then glue a thin piece of ply to the back. Fill the exposed ends with bondo or fiberglass. That's how we do it in the shop.