Getting an old Mercury 7.5hp running again. A few Q's...

Blogwall

Cadet
Hi,
Been looking through the posts on this site and found some great info, but have a few specific questions I hope someone can help with.

I recently acquired an old 7.5hp mercury that I'd like to get some use out of for the summer. I think it's from around 1979. I decided to check it out initially by running it briefly in a barrel of water. With fresh fuel/oil mix it started after a couple of pulls and ran smoothly, even idling off choke after a minute, but it was only spitting water from the tell tale so I didn't let it run too long. It's been lying up a while and probably wasn't flushed of salt water. I picked up a factory manual which gives a lot of useful info but doesn't show everything, can anyone help with these few points?

1. Where would I find the serial number so I can identify if it's an early or late model 75?
2. Should there be a thermostat in the thermostat housing? There's none in it.
3. What should the internal diameter of the impeller be? I know there are two sizes.
4. Why has it got a separate stator and rectifier but no starter or ring gear? It has a black/red DC output socket beside the choke button.
5. Can I make my own exhaust cover gaskets from heavy gasket paper or are they made from a special material? I've removed the exhaust cover to unclog the water jacket.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Blogwall

Cadet
Re: Getting an old Mercury 7.5hp running again. A few Q's...

Anyone??
I really would love to get this old thing going again.:confused: