"Racing" Switch Box

rook313

Recruit
Alright, I have a 1989 Mariner 50hp 3 cyl that has no spark. It has always ran great but stranded me 14 miles deep in the Louisiana Marsh last weekend, which BTW, is not where you want to spend the night. Luckily we were able to get a tow after killing both batteries trolling out to the main channel in hopes to find another boat. But anyhoo, I have whittled this down to the power pack/switch box. I started doing some research an found that my switch box (332-7778A10) is a high performance "racing" part. Most of the switch boxes I have looked at online are the same box but are not to replace the "racing" part. CDI has one but I am pretty sure it will be twice the price of the "standard" box for the same model motor. Anyone have any clue what this "racing" box is all about, will it hurt my performance to replace with the "standard" part. Or for that matter will the "standard" work at all.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: "Racing" Switch Box

The "racing" switchbox will improve your performance by lightening your wallet.

The boys at Scream and Fly, and Byuboyz don't see any difference, and they spin em 9 grand and up. In short, any 332-7778 switchbox should work fine.

If you know someone that's changed both packs out of a V6, you could try the "good" one that's left.

hope it helps
John

rook313

Recruit
Re: "Racing" Switch Box

Thanks for the info Mr Martin. I was pretty sure that was the case, as with so many other "high performance" parts out there for two strokes. Thats again and Im sure you just saved my atleast $150.00!