How important is brand in replacing manifold and risers/elbows?

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Doing some investigation in persistent idle/low speed overheating, I pulled my manifolds and risers (small block GM V8 305) and found them to be in pretty rough shape - especially the risers, which are super corroded and have lost the little projections into the elbows. Pretty sure this is why I'm getting the overheating issues, and either way, they need to be replaced.

Seeing a pretty substantial price difference between OEM and GLM and some other brands. Any particular reason to avoid certain brands, or anything special to watch for? I'm thinking I'll just order one of these complete kits, including gaskets and everything, to make this as straightforward as possible.

Saltwater use, by the way, if that matters (lives in the water all summer).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: How important is brand in replacing manifold and risers/elbows?

OEM is way more expensive.Aftermarket will be easier on the pocket.They will be just as easy to install.
You don't say where U live so fill out the profile.They can be bought as a kit or indivigual pieces.J

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You're ok with most makes......There's more than a few here that have had problems with GLM. (sealing surfaces NOT flat)

I would check the sealing surfaces for flat'ness (is that a word?) regardless of who made them!!

Regards,

Rick

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're ok with most makes......There's more than a few here that have had problems with GLM. (sealing surfaces NOT flat)

I would check the sealing surfaces for flat'ness (is that a word?) regardless of who made them!!

Regards,

Rick
Thanks Rick. Can you suggest any specific brands? I'm really not too familiar. Another possibility, I guess, would be to go GLM, then take it by the machine shop for an inspection prior to installation. But that could negate the upfront cost, and it's more work for me.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well, the best choice would be to get them from a Mercruiser supplier. there's a bunch of them on the net. Shipping can be a lot though. Getting them locally reduces the shipping a little and you have someone that will give you a local warranty. You can get them right here on iBoats too (support our cool forum!!:D)

They're Sierra "brand" (GLM?) Napa Auto Parts stores also sell Sierra (your local NAPA store can probably do same or next-day service)

Napa doesn't quibble on warranty either.

I like OSCO too. http://www.marineparts.com/osco/osco1.aspx

BONDO! Jump right in here!!!:D:D