Starting problems with starter

Hi everyone, hope you are having a better day than i am..

Here is my problem, I had just replaced my starter on my 1900 25hp evinrude. Took the bracket off put the new starter in. connected the wires and went to the drivers seat to try it out. It came up hit the fly wheeel went back down in a bout 1 sec then nothing. now it just clicks. The starter solenoid clicks. Thats it???

if i had hooked the wires up wrong it owould have never worked for that 1 sec?
I checked my battery, full 12.9 volts. check at the starter solenoid 12 volts.
checked the starter while cranking and 11.9 volts.

Why is just the starter solenoid clicking?????

Please help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting problems with starter

Run good known jumper cables directly to the electric starter. If the starter engages and cranks the engine, then obviously the starter is okay.

Hopefully the problem is a loose or tight but dirty cable connection. Remove all cables/wires associated with the starter system, clean the cable/wire terminals and whatever component they attach to including the battery terminals, solenoid, and ground cable at the powerhead.

Let us know what you find.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starting problems with starter

Yes. What Joe said.

Getting 12V at the starter when engaged is strong evidence that you don't have a good enough ground connection. Most likely your battery ground cable where bolted at the engine block has a bad connection.

Other possibilities are a poor connection of the ground cable at the battery or poor grounding of the starter to the engine block.

Do not simply look at and try to wiggle the connections. Take them off and scrub them shiny before reconnecting them.

Good luck. :)