cold starting a 2000,200hp Fitch,Or orig operating manual?

budnate

Cadet
Hi guys, wondering what the factory operating manual show for proper startup of a stone cold motor?.....I snooped around the net and cant seem to locate one so am asking you'all for some help.

I have a new to me yr 2000, 200hp Fitch Evinrude, Injectors are pinned, EMM updated, excellent comp, de carboned, new plugs and indexed correctly,Hot Battery, all new fuel, with sea foam, motor runs excellent, just seems to me to be slow to pop off when touching the key.

I also did a buyers inspec and the guy pulled a full report from the motor at the dealer and all is good and has never thrown a code from new, it has about 300 grandpa hrs on it, I also bought the kit from ebay to get the PDF maint files and PC software, I have not loaded it on the laptop yet.

when stone cold starts---, I was told to turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to cycle on and when it shuts off go ahead and crank it, with NO throttle from the warm up lever....it seems to need to crank quit a bit usually a few cycles of the key of like10/15 second bursts of on cranking I dont like to just crank on it endlessly it will fire and run a little snotty for 15/20 seconds and even right out like a normal cold motor.

I am wondering if I am doing the startup correctly or not.? my concern is the weather is farly mild right now and it seems to be a little slow to light off, I will have this motor out in freezing conditons and am concerned about it starting right.

after being warmed up and shut down and hit the key again it can require a little cranking to light off again instead of the typical touch the key and a motor is popping along deal I am used to.........this is my first direct Inj motor are they all like this?

any feedback appreciated.

Peace, B.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: cold starting a 2000,200hp Fitch,Or orig operating manual?

You really need a manual, budnate. www.outboardbooks.com probably has one.

BTW, it is FICHT, after the inventor.

Good luck. :)

budnate

Cadet

I have a real good detailed manual for doing the whole motor...but the dang thing does not show a factory recommended start procedure,,,and OMC only goes back to 2004 on their site to download manuals, I will give them a call monday when their open, just sitting around today, storming weather.. and thought maybe someone had a pdf file handy on it.

Thnx, B.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Two things. 1. When was the last time the spark plugs were replaced and indexed. 2. Do you pump the primer bulb before starting. ??

budnate

Cadet

Full meal deal serviced top to bottom on the motor, maybe 20 mins on it, on the flusher and backed in at the ramp under load warmed up, weather has been so cruddy have not launched it for a run. I Always squeez it up tight before starting.

Only thing I have not changed is the fuel filter under the hood, I have a real good filter before the motor and the filter is changed each year.

B.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the filter under the hood had water in it you'd get a check engine lite. One thing to remember about these mtrs. To me they always seemed to take a little longer to start also. Not like the good carbed models but I was told this was normal.The new E-TECS seem to pop right off.