1996 New Bayliner Capri Owner

lastumps

Recruit
Picked up this boat last Saturday, took it out on the water this past Sunday. Drove good , started on first try, except for the steering was very hard to do. I have read some posts that the steering line maybe need to be replaced. Boat launching was easy, getting back on the trailer took about 30 minutes and I am sure lots of people were laughing, but that's OK. :)

I live in Lake Charles, Louisana, lots of water to boat on!

I was a little nervous driving it since it had been about 10 years since my last boat which was a Bayliner Jazz which I hated. main.jpg2.jpg

elan86

Cadet
Re: 1996 New Bayliner Capri Owner

Congratulations!! Its a great feeling to own a boat again. I recently bought a 91 Capri and its my first boat in fifteen years! Almost consumes my thoughts!! Enjoy and have a great season!

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the steering hard out of the water?

If not then try trimming the motor to lift the bow.

I'm new to boating (at least a FG speedboat as I had pontoons before) and the first time out I thought there was something wrong as it was very hard to steer - as I learned about how to use the trim, lifting the bow (trimming the motor up) made the steering feather light.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

To narrow down what's wrong with the steering, disconnect the steering arm at the motor. If the motor then pivots easily, the problem is in the cable or helm. most likely the former.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Nice Bayliner! I'm one of the "Very Few" people on this forum that like the Bayliner brand:D. Don't know why, just like the style of them I guess, (& the price too). I have a bit of a steering issue as well, seems to want to go to the right. I think it designed to go in circles if you let go of the wheel, kind of like a jet ski, but it feels like I'm constantly holding it to the left to keep it straight. It's not really bad, but it is on my mind there may be a problem. Maybe the cable need's lube or something. Good Luck with the boat & uphold the Bayliner name, like I said, "Very few" of us here.:D