1990 Sea Ray 180

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
i am looking at buying a boat and i have come across a 1990 sea ray 180 bowrider with a 4.3 mercruiser. i do not know a whole lot about boats just the general ins and outs, my father knows them head to toe so he will be going with me to inspect it. i was just looking for some information from people about this boat whether they have owned one or know somebody that has owned one. i will be primarily using the boat on a good sized lake and will probaly have anywhere from 2-6 people with me when i go out. i also would like to use it to pull a tube, or wakeboard with. im kind of curious as to the power and if it has enough for recreational sports like this as well as carrying people. the boat is in very good condition supposedly and he is asking $3300 but from talking to him is willing to go down to probably about $2600, any information would be greatly appreciated thank you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Sea Ray 180

A 18' with a 4.3 is great power. Should be plenty for anything you want to do with it. Your biggest concern about an older fiberglass boat is rot in the wooden components of the hull. You want a solid deck, transom and stringers. Check very carefully because ANY soft spots in the deck are usually indicative of more serious rot in the stringers below. Good luck.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems like a good price for the year. 4.3 is a strong motor and you should see 45mph or more, plenty of tubing and skiing power. Six people will start to get crowded but for sure doable in a 18 footer. Like ezmobee said check for soft spots and have motor gone over. Good luck

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a really good price for a good name brand boat.

The 4.3 will be plenty of power for what you want to accomplish.

I have the 4.3 in an older 20 footer and it is plenty for getting a wakeboarder up with 4 adults and 2 kids in the boat, while pulling the 5th adult.

+1 on looking for soft spots! If it is rotted you probably don't want to put the time/money/energy into getting it lake ready.

I recommend paying for a survey!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good answers above. I have the 4.3L and it does all I need it to do and seems bullet proof so far! Agree with what has been said above - with an older boat, you need to make sure it has been properly maintained and cared for and you aren't buying someone else's problems. Good luck!