Which boat would you pick?

Npboat

Recruit
We are looking at 2 different boats and having a hard time deciding which one to go with. They are:

2000 Sear Ray Sundeck 210 with a brand new 5.7merc. New interior, lots of other new parts from a reputable broker who buys boat repos and fixes them $15000

OR

2002 Sylvan 2080 Spaceship with 5.0 merc. Well maintained from and individual. $13,500

I know the Sea Ray is a great brand, but I don't know much about Sylvan. Any advice you guys have would be great! Thanks!

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Which boat would you pick?

Why did the Sea Ray need so much work. Was it swamped, sunk, etc? A brand new Merc 5.7 is not cheap so I would want to know more and I would also want documentaiton that the motor was new or exactly what was put in. Many unanswered questions.

If all checked out, I would take the sea ray over the Sylvan.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

Ya, that is curious, that engine cost almost what he is asking for the boat.

I would ask too why the put a new engine in it and I agree with Silver, the Sea Ray is a much better boat than the Sylvan if it checks out, if it actually does have a new engine and everything checks out that is a pretty good deal.

It would be well worth your time and money to have the boat surveyed, that way you know for sur eeverything is right.

Any marina should have the names of several surveyors.

Sylvan is a good boat, they are made about 20 miles form my house, thay are a family owned buisness that has been around since the 50s I think and they build a very good boat so if you get a hink from the Sea Ray that would be a nice boat also.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Motors get replaced for all kinds of reasons. My 1999 Chris*Craft was repowered in 2007 because the previous motor wasn't winterized properly. A repower wouldn't concern me much.

All that interior replacement indicates to me that the boat was stored uncovered most of the time. Constant exposure to the elements can cause sole and hull issues. I'd sea trial them both, then hire a surveyor to go over whichever boat you like best. The amount you plan to spend on the boat justifies a few hundred more to make sure it's as good as it looks.

My .02

Npboat

Recruit

The Sea Ray is came from a bank repo, they had taken the radio and speakers out of it. I am assuming that they let the boat go to crap when Therber they were about to lose it. Then sitting in a repo yard probably did a number on the seats depending on how long it sat out. Some were even missing. The motor will come with a warranty. My other concern with the Sea Ray is that it come out of FL and worried about it being run in saltwater. Anything to be concerned about with this?

Thanks

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Your concerns with a salt water boat vs. fresh would be the motor, exhaust manifolds, risers and outdrive casing/prop. The block will last 20+ years in salt, but yours was just replaced, so no worries. If the manifolds and risers were done at the same time, you're golden.

A visual inspection of the outdrive will tell you if it has any corrosion issues, as corrosion would be limited to the exterior casing and prop. Even that rarely becomes an issue as long as the anodes (zincs) were replaced periodically. If the outdrive bellows are cracked/leaking, that will cause u-joint and gimbal bearing issues regardless of whether the water was salt or fresh. On either boat, if you don't have maintenance records, the outdrive should be pulled, inspected and serviced.

My .02