Are newer trolling motors as hard to turn as my 1979 Evinrude Scout 12/24?

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all... My new (to me) bass boat (1979 Bass Tracker II) came with a 1979 Evinrude Scout 12/24 foot controlled trolling motor. The motor pulls the boat around great. I was pretty surprised. However, it is difficult to turn under 24v heavy load. I have to pretty much stand on the pedal with most of my weight to overcome the torque steer. It turns freely when not under a load or when under a lighter load (12v).

1. Is this normal?

2. Do newer foot controlled trolling motors have this same issue or are they pretty easy to turn when under load? (This is the first one I've ever used)

Thanks in advance.

jason

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Are newer trolling motors as hard to turn as my 1979 Evinrude Scout 12/24?

I would suspect bad control cables. They are binding up when they get some tension on them.

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cables are likely to be crudded up. but I can say that my 70lbs thrust has a bit of torque steer, and if you are not care full it can throw you off the bow...lol..

I noticed in you other post that you were looking at the electric turn ones, I too had looked at them for a while. But i gave up on them after taking one for a test run. I have been so used to the cable operated foot controled that it seemed as I had not control over the motor ( no feel for turning) I had a heck of a time running in a strait line.

But I am sure it would take some getting used to, and the I pilot was out of my price range at the time.

So how would you go about un-crudding the cables? I have the same problem, turning it takes alot of force......I have tried to put lube them but didn't help at all

Thanks,

ronda