25 hp Johnson with a hole in the head

tdelong

Recruit
Took the boat out the other day and as I was running across the bay I noticed that a lot of water coming out from under the cowling. I pulled it of and was suprised by a stream of water shooting high in the air from the top of head on the motor. It looks like a metal wire clip has over the years been in contact with the head and electrolysis had taken over. It pitted the head bad enough to form a weak spot and finally sprung a leak in the water jacket. The area that is damaged is only about 1/4 inch in diameter and the hole is only about an 1/8. Is there a safe way to patch this hole? Maybe thread it with a tap and put some kind of plastic screw in it. Or a metal one that wont cause any more electrolysis? Or just JB weld it?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 25 hp Johnson with a hole in the head

What year is your motor? Different years have differently designed cooling passages. Could you post a picture?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd clean all the paint off of the area, ruff it it up and patch it with gray Marine Tex.

tdelong

Recruit

Sorry for the late reply but at the time my boat is being stored pretty far way from my house so it take me a while to get pictures. Here they are.
2011-03-27_14-44-23_670.jpg

2011-03-27_14-44-12_257.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd still do what I said in my last post.

tdelong

Recruit

I just looked at what Marine tex is. Yeah, that should work. There is not any real amount of water pressure there. I did a temp fix to get me back to the lunch ramp by wittling a small branch I found in the front of my boat to fit in the hole. That Marine Tex looks more than strong enough to fix it.
Thanks
Terre

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Actually, if you have it fairly thick, you can drill and tap it. I've had better luck with the gray stuff.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

How in the hell did you get a hole there??:eek: That is just plain odd. If you don't mind removing the head, a good welder can tig weld it shut.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If a small branch can stop the water leak I'm sure Marine Tex would. Saves taking the head off and getting a new gasket and ect. Read the first post again.