50 HP Force not getting full throttle

Bubba89

Recruit
I have a 50 HP Force model number 507F4A. It is a 1984 model and when pushed to full throttle the cam lobe that pushes against the carb butterfly will not max out. It only rolls about 1/4 of the way up but can almost hit full throttle if done by hand, but still does not go all the way to the notch at the top of cam. Also when moving the throttle arm, it will go halfway before any of the linkage starts moving the butterfly on the carb. I am trying to figure out where I am losing leverage to hit max throttle. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50 HP Force not getting full throttle

I have an 89 150 hp. With my motor you can not acheive full throttle(WOT) in nuetral. Did you try wot in gear. You also need to adjust you trottle cable. See pic.
Enigine pics_0011A.jpg

Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Set up your carb cam and roller the same way as in synchronizing carbs and timing in FAQ at the top of the page. Except, don't worry about setting up the other carbs you don't have. With the cam correctly aligned, the butterfly will only open slightly (about 1/4) until you get to 3/4 travel of the control handle. Then the finger on the cam opens the butterfly all the way, rapidly.

Then check your throttle cable both at the engine and at the control box to be sure you are getting full travel.

Bubba89

Recruit

Thanks for the advice guys. Turns out the previous owner had messed with the throttle box and the way it is mounted to the boat and obviously didn't mount it back the way it was supposed to be. He had bolted a 1X6 to the fiberglass for support but the bolts he used were sticking out to far and not allowing the throttle arm to reach the full potential. So that part was a simple fix. I didn't have time to adjust the throttle to try to get the play out but I will try to do it tommorrow. Again thanks for the input and I'll let you know how it goes.