3.0L mercuriser head gasket gone.... Newbee

Petermunns

Cadet
Hello people,

I have just bought a Spirit 165, with a mercuriser 3.0l alpha one engine. The engine has a blown head gasket. I can see that water is coming out just below the inlet manifold. I ve had a look on here and can't find any threads about this topic.

I checked the compression which was as follows: 180, 150, 120, 120 in order of cylinder 1-4. The engine turned over freely, however the oil has been contaminated with water.

I am going to take off the head my self and see what condition the blocks in, just wondering if you guys have any advice before I get my hands dirty :)

Cheers Peter

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0L mercuriser head gasket gone.... Newbee

What is the mercruiser serial number for your engine. There was a service bulletin for about blown head gaskets for a certain group.

Petermunns

Cadet

1. Engine year ...1991
2. make, type....Mercuriser 3.0l alpha one
3. serial number 0c531932
4. Drive number 0c709124

Sorry I didn't notice the first post rules. That Bullitin, is great my only concern is that it says to change oil first and then start her up again... Bearing in mind the high compression figures I got will it still be ok to do this?

I can visibly see water coming out from the what appers to be the head to block connection.

Thanks again .

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

When you pulled the plugs to do the compression check, how did they look? Was there any water in the cylinders?

Don S

When you pulled the plugs to do the compression check, how did they look? Was there any water in the cylinders?

What did they look like. Any of them that were real clean, lke brand new? No carbon on them at all? That would be a sure indication of water getting into the cylinder.

Your engine is years early for the head gasket bulletin.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

How was it winterized?? Severe leakage vs just a drip or wet spot could indicate a cracked block .
Remove the manifold first to inspect.

Petermunns

Cadet

The engine was not winterised. The leak is only on one side under the inlet manifold, when you squeeze the water hoses quite abut of water comes out. No a little drip.

All the spark plugs had a good coat of carbon on them, no signs of rust. The compression on cylinder number 1 was very high, and when cranking over the engine I think water was blowing out of the spark plug hole when testing the other cylinders.

Don S

The engine was not winterised. The leak is only on one side under the inlet manifold, when you squeeze the water hoses quite abut of water comes out. No a little drip

Remove the manifold if you want to see the crack in the block. it will be about 3/4" below the head gasket.

Petermunns

Cadet

Sounds like a job for tomorrow! Sounds expensive too, any idea on uk costs for repair?

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like a job for tomorrow! Sounds expensive too, any idea on uk costs for repair?

Ayuh,... You need a Replacement Motor.....

Petermunns

Cadet

Noooo! Don your right crack below the head. I ve seen a second hand block for ?295.00 or I know a company that can stitch repair blocks? I am on a tight budget any thoughts..?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

... when cranking over the engine I think water was blowing out of the spark plug hole

That makes stitching the block impractical as it is cracked on the inside as well as the outside. If the used block is good, then that is your best bet without a doubt.

Petermunns

Cadet

Right, I have now taken of the head. There is a small amount of surface rust to the rockers and followers, but generally looks ok. The cylinders and pistons look to be in a good condition with no rust.

My question is, will I be able to use all of my internals to transfere over to a replacement block? Pistons, bottom end etc?

Bondo

Staff member

My question is, will I be able to use all of my internals to transfere over to a replacement block? Pistons, bottom end etc?

Ayuh,... I donno how it works on your side of the pond,...
But,...
Around here, most folks are buying either a Long block, or a Short block, when this conversation comes up...
Never just a BARE block casting.....
If ya get just the block Casting only, there'll be Abunch of machining, 'n fitting to be done...

A Long block motor is the block, 'n head, with All their internal parts...
A Short block motor is the same 1, without the Head assembley...

That's kind of a case by case thing. Depends on the condition of your exisitng parts and the replacement block. Might have to bore the new block then your pistons won't work if their STD. size. Might have to turn your crank if is damaged. Can't tell until it comes apart.

Good Luck.

Petermunns

Cadet

Hello guys,

Have removed engine, all internals look to be in good condition. I have been offered another replacement block/bottom end, just can tell if the blocks are the same or not? Have looked at the engine numbers and tried looking at the mercruiser Service Bulletin 2005-08, but still can't figure it out.

Please could some one let me know if the new block I have found will be a direct replacement?

Many thanks

Possible new block
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i395/petermunns/IMG_0154.jpg

My cracked block
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i395/petermunns/IMG_0155.jpg