Live well question

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 18ft Ebbtide dynatrak fish and ski last winter that has two live wells in it. The previous owner replaced the switch panel on the dash and now there is not a switch to turn on the live well pump.
So my question is...where would the live well pumps be located in the boat? Also the wells fill up with water when the boat is in the water and empty while on a plain..is this correct? And there seems to be some type of water filtration system set up in the wells so im just assuming they have a pump its set up like a fish tank where it looks like it suck in water from the bottom on the well then released on the top threw a pipe.

Any insight would help
thanks

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Live well question

To fill when still and empty when under way isn't unusual at all. Many are set up that way. I use to use a golf ball in the bottom of my live well, it would roll over the drain hole while underway and stop most of the water from leaving. And then on the other hand many livewells have fill pumps and some have circulation pumps only. You'll just have to look your system over well and see what you have. If you have thru hull fill pumps (which I don't think you do), its mostly likely located in the bilege and will extend thru the transom. If it's aeriation only, the pump could be most anywhere, so you'll just have to do some searching.

As far as controls for the pumps, the dash is the most common place, but if it's been added aftermarket, they could be anywhere. If the wires are still under the dash (where you said switches were removed), you might be able to trace those wires back and find the pump. It's also possible that the whole system was removed, hence the switches being gone. In any event you can replumb or add another pump and control system fairly easily. Just do some serious looking and see what you have to work with. Some pictures would help, but I know these are tuff things to get pictures of somtimes.

Good luck.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Live well question

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it has a "fill pump" because my center counsels live well is set up like that, i think this one is just an aeration set up. I know the pumps not in the bilge unless its laying under the gas tank, it must just be in some awkward place in the boat. Im going to go grab it out of storage tomorrow and take a good look at it and try to get some pics of the set up.