1978 power tilt trim removal - reservior and motor are HUGE

iloveketchup

Seaman
I'm trying to remove the power tilt and trim the same way this guy does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpsePzyE4M

mine is a 1978 crossflow (140).

however both the motor on the port, and fluid reservoir on the starboard is HUGE. I cannot see how this was ever placed in unless it was assembled when the transom mount was in half? I've never split or pressed the two legs off. is it that difficult?

So... does has anyone else had this problem, not having clearance to remove the tilt trim assembly? The cable is pulled through and has plenty of slack.

I have a 86 looper to compare to and the fluid reservoir has a huge notch like the guys in the video, and the motor is way smaller. Getting to the screws to unmount the motor of reservoir doesn't look feasible.

I'm about to get out the chizzel or torch.

EDIT:

Turns out the repair manual actually does say the stern supports (or at least one side requires removal). These maybe a bearing splitter will work. I tried a gear puller and didn't seem like there was enough to grab on. Hopefully i can preserve the old steering tube. Those are pricey.

Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1978 power tilt trim removal - reservior and motor are HUGE

Have you tried pulling the outboard off the transom, my manual (1994) calls for removing the outboard from the boat.
Tilt removal is from the transom side.

iloveketchup

Seaman
Re: 1978 power tilt trim removal - reservior and motor are HUGE

Have you tried pulling the outboard off the transom, my manual (1994) calls for removing the outboard from the boat.
Tilt removal is from the transom side.

I just edited my post. You're right. the whole motor must be removed fromt he transom and stern support removed. Less i damage the steering tube, only one requires removal. I beat on them with a 3 pound sledge and they didn't seem like they wanted to move. Corrosion or whatever got the best of them.

I'll make it work or bust it trying. Probably a bearing splitter. Buying random tools as needed pays off again.