Boyesen Reeds

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All

I found that Boyesen do reeds for my 125. Are they better than OEM products, as claimed, or am I better to stick with what I have. They claim better fuel economy/hole shot/idle etc. Anyone using them I'd be interested to hear if they are woth the $100.00 investment.... ( plus $35 shipping!)

Cheers

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boyesen Reeds

While I have not used them, I have rebuilt engines with them installed---I was not impressed with them. They are, after all, plastic. Boyeson does claim that they need replacing periodically. Over on the Chrysler Crew there are a number of fellows who do use them and say they are a bit more responsive. Worth the 100 bucks? Not to me. I guess it depends upon how serious you are about the last ounce of performance.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I put a set on my 1988 125. There was a slight improvement. Not the best investment in my book.

RRitt

Captain

metal reeds don't break very often. plastic reeds crack. metal reeds are stiffer. plastic reeds breathe easier and give better response. If you don't pay attention then running with a broken intake reed can burn up a powerhead. Plastic reeds were factory installed after 1992.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all for your great replies. Had you all said- BEST THING I EVER DID- I would go for it. Now I don't NEED an extra ounce of performance to get to the next fishing hole a poofteenth before the next guy, so thanks again, you just saved me $100.00!