Changing the water pump

Ebbtide94

Cadet
Forgive me if this is covered else where but I have not been able to find the specific info I'm needing.

I'm trying to replace my water pump in my 1982 Johnson 150. The problem I'm having is just how do you get the shifter rod loose? Looking on the port side of the motor there appears to be slot head screw that needs to be removed. It is a very tight squeeze and I think I can get it out but I don't think I would ever be able to get it back in and that is what scares me.

Looking on the other side there is a small hex head screw but I'm not so sure it is supposed to come out. It looks more like it might be used to adjust the movement?

Does anybody have any helpful tips with this? I would be greatly appreciative.

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Changing the water pump

I have a 92 evinrude that I did my first water pump and it turn out to be easy. as to the shifter. I could explain easier on the phone than here. Im sure we have the same thing. unscrew the srew and slid it to the side and just do it in reverse. you welcome to call me at 850-390-0526. I might not answer do to not knowing the number so just leave me a message and i will call you right back. Thanks Steve

snookhooked

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did but I believe it doesn't have to. what mine was I learned I had to slide the post with the screw out of the way for the lever to drop. its just so little room for fingers that's where I got aggravated with. lol you can move the gear lever in a position that easier for you to get to it. good luck. its really not that bad but just a little harder when you do it for the first time but after that you will know what to expect and it will be easier. call me if you have questions.

Ebbtide94

Cadet

Well I finally did it. Turns out the screw is hex shaped which makes it a little easier being able to use a socket. I did have to remove a fuel line hose to get to it though. I just hope I am able to lineup the shaft to put it back together.

Now the bad news. Once I got it apart I found the water pump is toast. I'm going to have to order the waterpump kit that includes the housing and all. The plastic is melted and the metal sleeve inside had twisted and only a portion of the hole the water flows through was lined up. The metal plate down inside the housing has completely shifted and has burned its way through the side of the housing. The impeller itself is only half the size of the new one. It looks like that thing was run dry at some point.

Ebbtide94

Cadet

Help...I got the new pump in today and was attempting to install it. However, there are some differences from the old pump.

These seems to be 3 O-rings. I figured out that the larger round one went under the inside sleeve. I know the middle sized one goes on the shaft. But I have no idea where the third smaller O-ring goes.

The second problem I have is that the piece you screw on top of the housing doesn't seem to seal properly. The center part of it that goes over the shaft and rest on top of the housing but there is a noticeble gap between the 2. The old housing had a metal washer of some sort with rubber seals inside of it that seem to make a seal between the 2 parts. The new pump came with no such washer and it is made differnet so the old washer will not fit into it.

Ebbtide94

Cadet

Yeah I have looked at the link and it does not have the middle sized o-ring displayed. But I think I figured out that there does not have to be a seal between the housing and the part that goes on top. I put the old housing back together with the washer in place and there isn't a seal.

I do have anotehr problem now though. It appears the impeller is some what larger than the housing so I assume you have to bend the ends in to make it fit snug. However, which way do you bend them? I assume the shaft turns clockwise or am I wrong?

AlTn

Commander

looking down on the shaft it turns clockwise...a little grease or liquid dishwashing detergent on the vanes will help getting the impeller back into the housing