1991 Johnson 70 Carb question

Rebuilt all 3 carbs and the bottom two were fairly clean, no gooey oil or anything like that. This motor had been sittin for 3 years, it was garage kept and super super clean. The top carb WAS all gunked up with old oil and I got it cleaned to where I thought I was ok. Got it out on the water and it didn't have any top end at all. Back at the shop, pulled the plugs and the bottom two looked normail (new ngk's) but the top plug looked brand new still, like it was flooding bad or something was going on. checked compression (118 118 120 cold), all 3 jumped 7/16 spark. Pulled carb again, which was the dirty one, the lower bowl and high speed jet still had a bunch of gunked up oil and the high speed jet was stripped, so I got it out of there and put a new one in. Got it back together and she started right up, I noticed when it was warming up w/ the rev lever up the top carb every once in a while would blow a little puff of smoke, could this mean the carb is still dirty or what? At idle it didn't do it, and it would crank first time after I shut it down 3 or 4 times. Before I had a lotof trouble getting it restarted. Maybe I'm overreacting? Also, the small tube (not sure what it's called) that sticks out from the emulsion tube isn't perfectly center, seems to be leaning toward the bottom. Is this normal?

Sorry for the long post, maybe I'm overreacting!

Re: 1991 Johnson 70 Carb question

Forgot to mention, pulled the plug after I got it back together and had ran it for 5-6 minutes and it looked normal.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Johnson 70 Carb question

The small tube is normal. Put the boat in the water and run the heck out of it and let us know what happens.