1993 48 spl johnson help please model j48eslete

trukodiak64

Recruit
1993 48 spl johnson help please model j48eslete

i have a 93 48 spl runs great in and out of wated but i have one prob
in water i have no reverse it just makes like a grinding noise
i can put it on a water hose and muffs on dry land and will go in reverse gear no prob
running or not not runniing i can turn it by hand and it locks in and turns the motor over n everything and running goes in gear and no noises but will not for any reason goin reverse in the water every time i try the motor will kick up and act like its trying but will
not go just grind or slip please someone help friend told me probally its the shift dogs
but i have no idea any simple ideas to try to fix this and the shifter is working fine goes all way forward and back and i noticed it dont hit neutral some ither

Last edited:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 48 spl johnson help please model j48eslete

First thing to do is drain the lower unit oil by taking out the drain screws (bottom and upper). Look at the oil as it's coming out. If you see water or a milky colored oil, you have a seal leaking. Capture the old oil in a can and look for metal shavings (filings). If you find metal pieces, then chances are that the clutch dog is probably worn off. A worn clutch dog is caused by shifting into gear to slowly. Lot's of boaters try to "ease" the shifter into gear but, by so doing, it's grinding the ears off the dog. Shift into gear (either forward or reverse) with a quick pull (or push). Changing a dog and replacing seals is a job where I would suggest that you buy the service manual for your motor. It'll be money well spent if you don't have experience with lower unit repair.