1992 30hp wont shift into reverse

sticknreel

Recruit
I recenty started workin on a 92 johnson 30hp it has been sitting up for about six years. I got it running changed waterpump fuel pump ect. I just put the lower unit back on and every thing is workin except it doesnt want to shift in reverse any advice?

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1992 30hp wont shift into reverse

Did it work just before you changed the water pump? Does the shift lever move all the way to the reverse position, or do you feel some resistance?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good question by Jasper, Did it work before you changed the w/p? If it did something has changed from replacing the w/p.

carholme

Rear Admiral

stick;

Are you sure that when you installed the lower unit, you had it in the same gear as the boat. Your problem sounds like someone may have moved the boat shifter while you had the LU dropped. They must both be in the same gear, then install the LU.

Gerry

sticknreel

Recruit

It shifted before and i worked on it all day yesterday and figured out that the spot you have to disconect the linkage to drop the lower unit has to be adusted because i turned both bolts and was unaware that it was an adjustment this is the first outbored iv ever worked on so im new to it all but i finally got it running and shifting good, thanks everyone