no reverse - mercruiser Alpha 1- 1984

billdor

Cadet
I have a 1984 Mercruiser Alpha One. I took the outdrive off before winter put it back on this spring and now it doesn't lock into reverse. I try to shift into reverse and it kills the engine. Also, propeller is not locking...

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: no reverse - mercruiser Alpha 1- 1984

Was it in fwd. gear when you put it on?Look to see if the shift lever is in the shoe on the bell housing.If it is you need a shift cable.

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will bet on the shoe not being on right. Especialy if it worked when he took it off.

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could have also forgot to drain and refil the fluid. If it wasnt kept in a climate controlled environment, anything coulda happened inside.<br /><br /><br />But in any event, hold the rod into the forward postion and spin the prop counterclockwise and push the drive in. You mighta fouled up the linkage. <br /><br /><br />-- Joe

billdor

Cadet

I tried to move the brass barrel on the drive unit shift cable today. I think it controls the reverse lock?? Can you tell I'm a newbie. I greased up switch lever which was stuck out of the slot and kept moving it back and forth and now it is working. I'm kind of leary about the whole thing... Not sure what happened? Was it just stuck from sitting?? Have you heard of this before??

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Billdor<br /><br />Take a close look at what Rickles and Mercury Blues are suggesting. <br /><br />You have most likley missed the mating of the upper and lower shift shafts whe you put back the drive.<br /><br />Don't disturb the barrel adjustments, you will get no end of engine dying when coming out of gear if this is not done right. Check the shift shaft first.

mjttrap

Cadet

im having similar trouble,mine was never apart.when i make the cable adjustment i cant get reverse to catch,it grinds a little like it wants to.foward is fine

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mjtrap<br /><br />2 adjustments you can do.<br /><br />1. Move the lower cable eye pin upwards to take up freeplay. You can do this with the engine running, put it in reverse and adjust the pin position until the gear engages.<br /><br />2. If that is not enough, you'll have to adjust the upper shift cable. Use trial and error turning the barrel to increase the distance between the eye and the barrel. one turn each time.<br /><br />The adjustment in the book brings you close but a bit of trial and error needed due to the cable slack.<br /><br />Good luck.