1978 Johnson seahorse 85 hp

Drew17

Recruit
Hello everyone, I am new at this so I hope I am doing this right. But my motor has either thrown one of the rods or ruined it. I haven't had enough time to pull it out and check the damage but can anyone give me any advice?? What to do. Where to find a rod for sale at?? Does iboats sell them?? Any advice is welcomed and information is appreciated. Thank you

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Johnson seahorse 85 hp

Many of the parts for this engine are still available from Bombardier. That includes the rod and cap assy. It's a common part and Bombardier has many in stock. It's sold under the supereceded part number: 5006383. Unfortunately, it's pricey at around $ 175. The new rod should be the correct weight and size to match the other 3 good rods that plan to reuse. I'd suggest you tear the engine down before you spend your money. If the rod let go, make sure the heads, crank and block are salvable first. That rod is very common, likely there are many of these ones sitting in marine salvage yards. You may have luck finding a good used one at a fair price.