1958-1959 35 hp Evinrude Lark having carburator problems (spitting gas out the front)

grieshop

Recruit
I have a 58-59 35hp Evinrude Lark that I am having touble with. The carburator was rebuilt 2 years ago. Last year it start and ran fine for about a mile then stalled out. I tried to restart it and it would never fire up. It started spitting gas from the front of the carburator as when I spun the motor. After waiting serveral hours, I tried again and it ran fine for a little while longer than repeated the process all over again.

My first outing this year was a repeat of what I experienced last year.

Any help will be welcomed.

Pat

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1958-1959 35 hp Evinrude Lark having carburator problems (spitting gas out the fr

Did you replace the float? Sounds like it's not adjusted properly or not "floating".

grieshop

Recruit
Re: 1958-1959 35 hp Evinrude Lark having carburator problems (spitting gas out the fr

Everything that could be replaced was. It was a complete rebuild of the carb. Tried it again yesterday and got the same results. I was told the float might be sticking. I guess I will tear it apart again and check the float. Any further info you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Patrick

Did you replace the float? Sounds like it's not adjusted properly or not "floating".

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

While you have it apart inspect the reeds for damage.

I have the same motor on the test stand as we speak that I am going over before selling. Nice motor, other than I dont have the proper cowl for it.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Stuck float. I've had the same problem off and on.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The little spring that comes with a new float, is important.

grieshop

Recruit

For everyone that replied, Thanks. The problem was two fold. The float was sticking and it was sucking air around the fuel filter. I had to take the carb apart and sanded the cork float down about 1/8 inch all the way around and solved the sticking isue. To fix the air leak around the glass bowl, i made a make shift rubber seal. She is running like a champ now with no problems.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

FI had to take the carb apart and sanded the cork float down about 1/8 inch all the way around and solved the sticking isue.

Wrong carb kit?? The float should not have to be sanded...but tif it runs well now...great.

You'll need to reseal the float now with sealer if you had not done so already.

Mas

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I usually buy OEM kits and haven't had an issue with floats working properly. Sometimes, those rubber float needles will stick and allow the bowls to overflow.