Trolling motor size for my 16' 1978 Chrysler?

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting ready to purchase a new trolling motor for my 16' 1978 Chrysler Bass Runner 85. I have an old electric 24v motor that barely pushes me along, in calm water with no wind. (it is cool looking though for us dudes who like the classics- it's a 1979 Evinrude Scout) I am thinking 40lbs thrust or better but have seen many different methodologies for thrust vs. length/weight. I am definitely going bow mount with foot control (electric not cable). I believe 24v will be better than 12v, and my boat does have a receptacle called "Charge N' Troll" (not sure exactly how that works) and I currently am running two batteries dedicated to the trolling motor. I run this boat on mostly lakes, with an occasional river trip. I am fairly fresh at the boating thing, but am learning tons as I go here. What do you all think?

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trolling motor size for my 16' 1978 Chrysler?

If your thinking 40 lbs(TM) it would a 12 volt.
The biggest 12 Volt TM's are 55lbs thrust,you could use the 2 batteries wired in parallel,or just one battery.
Not sure how much wire(distance battery-TM) you need to run but might need a upgrade if not the right gauge.
I don't think I'd go any smaller then a 50-55lbs TM, for that weight boat...I'm thinking it's alittle heavy,not real sure.
If you decide the 24volt route,you will need your 2 batteries wired in series.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is actually pretty light beig the Chrysler Bass Runner trihull. Per spec it's 400lbs empty and without motor. I can't decide if I'll be happy with 46lb thrust or if I should go 70 now. The price jumps significantly. Since I'm already set up and using 24v, I won't have too much work to do to add the new motor. I just need to make up my mind!

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i run a 15 foot champion, prewired for 24 volts, dual dedicated trolling battries. I wanted as much power as I could afford.

70lbs thrust will move my boat at a good clip, and move it up current on the river.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a Motorguide Pro 70 on eBay. It should be here next week. I can;t wait to get it on and GET IT ON!(the water) :) :)