4.3L Merc I/O timing

mikmid

Cadet
I just replaced the distributor cap on my 4.3L Merc I/O and it runs terrible. The old one was cracked but ran good. I see on the top of the engine block that the pistons are port bank 1,3,5 from bow to stern and starboard bank 2,4,6 from bow to stern. I hooked the spark wires up in firing order 165432 as stamped on top of the block. Have put old cap back on and no improvement. Put new cap back on and no improvement after rechecking wiring order. Is my wiring right or have ideas?<br /><br />Thank, Mike

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4.3L Merc I/O timing

Did you replace the rotor? are you sure you got no1 wire going to no1 cyl and no1 location at the cap? sure this is the problem usualy carb issues verly find a dist issue. OH if you did change the rotor make sure it is loctited to the shaft and is the right one. 6 windows for v6 and 8 for v8 very common mistake by parts places.

mikmid

Cadet

I'm sure this is the problem. The boat ran great but the old distributor cap had a small crack in it so I replaced it. The boat now runs terrible. Can you confirm that the piston numbers are 1,3,5 port bank and 2,4,6 starboard bank from bow to stern?

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes that is right if you look closly at the intake runners you will see the cyl number marked on them. chevy number 1 is port side in the front