Replacing deck in 1972 tri-hull

theranger86

Recruit
Im replacing the deck on my 1972 cacci craft tri hull. Just wondering if anyone has heard of using rustoleum epoxy garage floor coating for a less expensive alternate for a finished deck coating on a boat. Thanks

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Replacing deck in 1972 tri-hull

The standard answer is "if its not made for boat decks, its not going to work." That having been said, I used Glidden polyurethane Porch and Floor paint on my fiberglass deck with a Behr traction additive. It looks good and cleans easy. Its only been on my boat for a year, so I don't know if ir will stand the test of time. At $19 a gallon, though, its not too bad even if you have to re-do it every few years.

Ranger,

Welcome to iBoats! This has been considered by many other folks here. The problem with most epoxy garage floor coatings are they do not hold up well to UV rays from the sun. So it would most likely be short lived.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, NO UV protection, and the MFG does NOT recommend it for Marine USE. Good old Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint and throw a little sand on it while it's stil wet. Then give it another coat and it'll last for years.

theranger86

Recruit

thank you everyone for the advice, woodonglass i used the rustoleum as you suggested and the results are exactly what i was looking for (price and looks). thanks