suzuki 25hp help

country boy23

Recruit
looking for some help guys. I have an older motor that my dad gave me. its a pretty good running motor. has very very very low hours. has been sitting in our barn for 10 years since I used it last back in 01'...

well I am trying to figure some things out on it.

first off approx. what year it is. Also what fuel/oil mixture should I run in it (2 stroke).

We took it out on the water last weekend, and it will start and idle, but anything over a quarter throttle and it stalls. took the carb apart, and it really wasnt that bad. the jets werent clogged. So I cleaned them up and put it back together.

Maybe I am fouling plugs because the 40:1 ratio I ran was to rich?

Here is a picture. dont know if that will help any of you experts ;)

thanks for any help.

mudking-albums-random-picture10127-imag0142.jpg

mudking-albums-hunting-picture10288-imag0495.jpg

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: suzuki 25hp help

ok
well its a dt 25, made before 1982/3, if you look for the serial number you can then easily find the exact year of the motor.
sometimes if the numbers cannot be seen on the outside, they are also stamped on the core plug on cylinder head.
Fuel wise its definitely too rich. 50 to 1 mix is good and use a good 2 stroke outboard oil.

if you check out the main jet you will also find that to convert to 30hp is a simple case of bigger jet.
These were strong engines, and still loads of them around.
definitely sounds like a fuel starvatio problem, the carbs on these realy do need to be very clean.
And check you have a good supply from fuel pump to carb, maybe the pump needs good clean out.

phill