big oil leak

island567

Cadet
Last fall when taking boat out, The outdrive oil reservoir burst open. where would this pressure come from. Drive oil shows no water, real black and burnt smelling. Its a 1996 Bravo 2 drive with 350 engine Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: big oil leak

Last fall when taking boat out, The outdrive oil reservoir burst open. where would this pressure come from. Drive oil shows no water, real black and burnt smelling. Its a 1996 Bravo 2 drive with 350 engine Thanks.

Ayuh,... My guess would be excess Heat....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Immanent drive failure usually build that much heat up in a drive. Probably metal particles in the gear lube will get in the bearings and build up on the rollers and the races, which then causes the preload pressure on the bearings to increase and extra friction.
I would suggest a tear down of the drive and inspection before you destroy it by continuous running.

island567

Cadet

Immanent drive failure usually build that much heat up in a drive. Probably metal particles in the gear lube will get in the bearings and build up on the rollers and the races, which then causes the preload pressure on the bearings to increase and extra friction.
I would suggest a tear down of the drive and inspection before you destroy it by continuous running.

If I remove the top cover of drive, would that show damage to the bearings?

Bondo

Staff member

If I remove the top cover of drive, would that show damage to the bearings
Ayuh,... Only 1 of the Many...