Carb cleaner, gas additive, stabil, sta-bil question

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good morning all.<br />I need advice on this minor concern of mine. <br />As most of us do for the winter, I added sta-bil to each tank of gas. I asked marina guys to winterize both engines for me. While winterizing engines they too added a different brand of gas stabilized to each tank. I still have not used all of that gas, 1/2 tank left. <br />After adjusting each carb, marina mechanic suggested to add carb cleaner to fuel tank as it is running a bit lean. I am a little worried that it will be too much of additives. Will help or will harm? <br /><br />Enjoy boating/fishing weekend :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Carb cleaner, gas additive, stabil, sta-bil question

Depends on how much fuel is in the tanks....be cautious with additives ...they usually have alcohol in them and give the internal rubber parts problems. In the past the older accelorator (sp?) pumps would shrink from gas additives which would make the boat bog down.<br /><br />If you can just run the gas through and re-fuel with fresh gas.<br /><br />Bob <--- originally from Marine Park!

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob,<br />I keep my boat on ave U in Mill Basin, close to Marine Park :) <br />I visit Killington, VT every winter at least once (skiing)<br />Thanks for posting back.<br />Lenny

Skipster1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have too many variables in the gas tank now. If it is running okay, then use up the gas tank and start fresh.<br />With the fresh tank you might wanna go ahead and add the carb cleaner... but I would wait and see if the present collection of additives doesn't take care of the problem.<br />NOTE: Youse guys can have the North. Spent all my life in Wisconsin and Minnesota and am now thawed out and loving life in Bonita Springs, Florida. Save the Manatees!!!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Lenny - E-32d between Filmore & S and now real close to Killington E-mail me at rpf924@hotmail.com not to tie up the board.<br /><br />Bob