Place where I can work on my boat?

bennyl23

Cadet
Hi fellow boaters!

I'm new to this forum. Last year I purchase a 1986 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a 4 cyl. Mecruiser 470. It ran well for the most part all summer (I had to replace a few parts on the engine). The floor needs to be replaced, and after doing some reading on here, probably the stringers. That is where my question comes in.

I don't have a convenient place to keep the boat while I work on it. Right now it is stored indoors at a marina in NH. Does anyone know of a place that charges for space so you can work on your boat? Obviously indoors would be ideal. Anywhere in the southern NH area, NH seacoast, or Mass north shore would be preferable. If anyone knows of a place I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to get the boat out of storage in a week or two so I can start on the floor/stringers/whatever else is wrong with it.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Place where I can work on my boat?

Welcome to iboats. I have the same dilemma.I am forced to work outdoors on my boat , add in the fact that I have only one day off a week. Everything I need to do ,would be easier if I could set up shop indoors until the boat was finished. I am doing a stringer up resto on my boat. The ideal situation would be a secure area in a buddy's wharehouse or shop. If I rent a garage , I will also have to pay an electric bill , and it would need to be a two bay garage. I have not found an affordable situation as of yet.... so the resto moves along slowly. I feel your pain !

shankbri

Cadet

I don't know of any place that is specifically for allowing others to repair their stuff - but a self store place would be an option if you can find one big enough and that would let you rent for only a month or two. Another option is an air plane hanger - they rent ones for people that have private planes - a hanger for a small plane would be more then enough space for your boat. You just have to talk them into a month or two lease instead of the more normal 6 mo or year (depending on how long it's going to take for your resto I guess).

rickryder

Commander

Your other option is do like I am and buy a portable garage,metal frame with tarp material over it. Tractor Supply has them for a few hundred bucks.

robert graham

Admiral

My second on the portable garage structure, I got a 12'x20' at Harbor Freight for about $130, they make some with sides, fronts and backs for more weather protection, but mine is just open on the sides, I keep the boat under it all the time. The tarps are good for 3 or 4 years, but easy and cheap($50) to replace. Good Luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Lots of storage options usually available on your local craigslist. I placed a storage space wanted ad on our local CL and landed a place for my boat for the winter for $30/mo.

bennyl23

Cadet

Thanks everyone for your replies. The portable garage is a great idea, but again, I have no place to put that. I rent an apartment in the Boston area so working on the boat at home is not an option. I'll keep looking around. There has to be a place somewhere. I imagine that a lot of people have the same problem I do! Or maybe people who don't own homes just don't buy boats!