Royal Purple Max-Gear lube....anyone ever used it in their Mercury lower unit?

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've seen Royal Purple being recommended as an alternative to Quicksilver Hi Perf gear lube. RP says it's applicable for marine use for lower units using GL-4/GL-5 lubes, and from what I've found, Quicksilver Hi Perf lube is a GL-5 lube.

Has anyone ever used it and did it work?

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Royal Purple Max-Gear lube....anyone ever used it in their Mercury lower unit?

I think it's the best lower unit oil for the money,also that is all i use in every motor i have ever owned.The stuff sticks to the gears like flat out crazy glue and lubricates awesome.Now this is just my opinion as you will here a ton more.It's a little pricey but i only change it once a yr instead of twice a yr with the basic lower unit oil which by the way is good to.I also use there engine oil in my truck,plus i may be buying a new 4stroke outboard here soon and i will only use RP in my boat motors even for the breakin.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Royal Purple Max-Gear lube....anyone ever used it in their Mercury lower unit?

If it specifies on the container, "Marine Lower Unit Oil", then go for it, otherwise the Quicksilver stuff has a great reputation, so why change? Is RP somehow supposed to be better, with some unspecified advantages? I mean, are you having problems with your lower unit lubrication?

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure it's a good product. Lots of guys use it and like it. There are only 2 though that will maintain lubricating properties when mixed with a little water; Merc/Quicksilver Hi-Po, and Amsoil marine gear lube. If it was me I'd stick with one of those.