House Rentals in the Florida Keys

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am planning a family trip to the Florida Keys for this July. Does anyone know of a good house rental and good company that does diving.

Thanks

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: House Rentals in the Florida Keys

Looe Key dive center. Should be around Mile Marker 22-28. Ckeck the 'net for all the info. Great place.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looe Key dive center. Should be around Mile Marker 22-28. Ckeck the 'net for all the info. Great place.
Thanks for the info, we might end up renting a house boat in the keys for a week, looks like fun.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I went diving in Marathon a few years back. Went out with Abyss Dive Center...good people....would go back out with them any time. Their website has lodging suggestions too. We drove down from Lauderdale just for the day.

http://abyssdive.com/

If your interested in some good diving...Lauderdale is awesome. We stayed at a place called the Sea Lord and dove with South Florida Dive Headquarters. I've been out with them many times in the past 10 years. The Sea Lord is in Lauderdale By The Sea (LBTS)...not Ft. Lauderdale. LBTS is a very nice small community (no highrises allowed)....everything is within walking distance and the beach is great. The diving is awesome. Many wrecks and reefs to dive near shore....short boat ride to the dive spots. I highly recommend LBTS for a family vacation and diving both.

Sea Lord: http://www.sealordhotel.com/home

South Florida Dive: http://southfloridadiving.com/

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info, I booked a house in Islamorada. We where thinking of a house boat, but the weather that time of year could be hit or miss for a houseboat.
We just need to book a charter for fishing and scuba diving.

thanks

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You didn't say when in July and I think mini-lobster season in in July as well. There are tons of dive/fishing charters there. You'll have a blast.

Don't forget to visit key West & try the Duval Crawl before you head home...

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

You didn't say when in July and I think mini-lobster season in in July as well. There are tons of dive/fishing charters there. You'll have a blast.

Don't forget to visit key West & try the Duval Crawl before you head home...

15th to 22nd.
What is the Duval Crawl?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

15th to 22nd.
What is the Duval Crawl?

You'll miss the mini season. it's the 27th & 28th.

Key West is known for their abundance of drinking establishments along Duval St, which runs through the center of Key West. The concept is to try a drink in all of them in roughly 24 hours (depending on who's version of the Crawl). Just as a guess, I'd say there are 50-75 bars...

sasto

Captain

But that can be a good thing. It can be crazy on the water during mini season. :cool:

Grab ya a T shirt or 2 while your there.

The "Purple Island" is a good place to be in the summer. The tourist have gone home!...service is great!....deals on just about anything!...bathtub tempurature waters!...:rolleyes:

PS: dont tell anybody.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

your dates will be close to mini-season so you'll be getting out just in time, it gets pretty crazy the end of july going into august. Have fun.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Key West is known for their abundance of drinking establishments along Duval St, which runs through the center of Key West. The concept is to try a drink in all of them in roughly 24 hours (depending on who's version of the Crawl). Just as a guess, I'd say there are 50-75 bars...

lol..I wouldnt recommend ALL of them..lol

capt sam

Just go to Irish Kevin's.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Irish Kevins, Hogs Breath Saloon (have your family go to their live web cam and say Hi), Check the real skeleton behind the bar (on the tree) at Capt. Tony's, get a shirt from Sloppy Joe's Bar, and try to catch the rooftop action at The Garden of Eden (atop the Whistle & Bull) ;)

eavega

Lieutenant

Remember to bring your mosquito repellent. They grow 'em big down in the Keys, and in the summer they are particularly bad, especially if the place you are renting is off of a mangrove canal or on the bay side. I remember as a kid you would always see a DC3 buzzing the overseas highway spraying for mosquitoes during the summer. Off makes a combination mosquito repellent/sunscreen that has worked particularly well for me the last few times I've been down that way.

Rgds

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remember to bring your mosquito repellent. They grow 'em big down in the Keys, and in the summer they are particularly bad, especially if the place you are renting is off of a mangrove canal or on the bay side. I remember as a kid you would always see a DC3 buzzing the overseas highway spraying for mosquitoes during the summer. Off makes a combination mosquito repellent/sunscreen that has worked particularly well for me the last few times I've been down that way.

Rgds

Thanks for the warning, we will look for that repellent.

capt sam

it ain't the mosquitos, it's the no-see-ums.