Tilt & Trim - Tilt won't lift engine

Bono59

Cadet
I have an 83 Johnson 115. The trim switch in the bow
got wet and shorted in the "up" pos. It ran for a good
30min +. The trim works, but the tilt won't lift the engine.
The motor is new and sounds normal. This is the 2 piston
trim with the single cylinder lift. Any advise would be
deeply appreciated since the fish are biting!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt & Trim - Tilt won't lift engine

I assume you're saying that the electric PTT motor runs in both directions and if the engine happens to be in the up position, it lowers the engine normally BUT will not raise the engine. If so, first raise the engine to its extreme up position and then fill the resevoir with PTT fluid (you may need to fill more than once).

If this cures the problem, fine. If not, I would suspect that either a check valve is stuck open OR the shuttle valve is sticking.

The shuttle valve...... Standing in back of the engine with the engine raised and securely locked in that up position, looking at the PTT unit, you will see a large slotted check valve facing you on the lower left rear portion of the manifold. Carefully remove it and the shuttle valve & two springs for inspection. Replce the O Ring if it is damaged and resurface that brass shuttle valve with #600 "wet or dry" sandpaper (the black type sandpaper).

Let us know what you find.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try what Joe said and if that doesn't work you may have popped a seal in the tilt cyl if it ran in the full up position for 30+ min.

Bono59

Cadet

The shuttle Valve I removed only has 1 spring and 1 o-ring.
The o-ring is broken and is hard. Can I replace this o-ring
out of my assortment, or is it spec. It looks very clean, do
i still need to sand the surface of the valve? Thank you sooo
much for helping me!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

There must be two (2) springs, needed to keep the shuttle valve in the neutral position when no hydraulic pressure is exerted. Look closely into that open hole for the 2nd spring. Possibly it fell out when you weren't looking (damn things are sneaky that way).

The O Ring that's broken and hard..... I assume we're speaking of the same O Ring, the one that's about middle way of that brass shuttle valve?

If sanding that valve, as stated use only the black "wet or dry" #600 paper and use water or mineral spirits preferably to wet the paper. If the valve looks perfect, no scoring, discoloration etc, you could bypass the valve clean up scenario.

The O Ring is part number 202893, and the spring part number is 323846. Whether you can substitute a O Ring from your assortment will need to be your judgement call, but frankly I'd go to the trouble to get the proper O Ring simply to avoid double work (too tight, too loose, that sort of thing).

Bono59

Cadet

Thank you so much for the help. I will get the parts and get this
done tomorrow. I will let u know.......

Bono59

Cadet

OK Joe, Took me a little longer than I wanted. Got Twin boys playing
High School Baseball. Replaced O-ring and sanded shuttle valve.
There were 2 springs, (one was hiding). I am ready to go back with
it but a little confused on which end came out first. Seems a little
tight getting all this back in. Is there a diagram or a link I can look
up to get a picture in my head. Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Seems to me that the outer end of that shuttle valve looked slightly larger.
PTT_W-RELAYS1a.jpg

Bono59

Cadet

That's it my friend! I put the plug back in to stop fluid from
leaking. The end cap stayed in the hole. That's why I didn't
think there was room. Thank you so much, you have saved
me so much trouble, it's unreal! Hope I can return the favor!
Mike

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Glad I could help Mike. Return the favor? Well now, when you hit the lottery big time, just keep in mind I could use a new Ford Ranger. :)

Johndhii

Seaman

Joe, I'm having an issue where the motor will go up but will not go down. I tried the exact same thing and I swear instead of #9 on that diagram, I pulled out what looks like #37. Did I go for the wrong plug? Mine is an 89 Evinrude 150, exact same diagram, I pulled out the what I thought was supposed to be a shuttle valve, it looks like a relief valve, no second spring when I look in the hole, just what looks like a valve? Am I going nuts here or should I just order what it says should be there?

After hitting the down button on the unit, a metal disk popped out with two springs, was it just asembled wrong in the first place??

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

John.... Without actually being there, I have no idea what you're seeing. However, it does sound like someone assembled it wrong. The metal disk is probably the back portion of the large check valve that you had to first remove. If you continue to have problems.... start a new post so that it well be at the top of the list under your name and title. (Joe)