help with trailer tires.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
The tires on my trailer are starting to show some dry rot and i would like to get them replaced. the sidewalls say s78-14st, and they are "towmaster" brand, but i dont know what that means, or what size i should get to replace them.

Can i get just tires, or is it better to get tires and wheels together?

What tire is the best bang for the buck?

1991 17ft searay bow rider. 2200lbs

Do i need radial, or ply tires?

how much should the trailer weigh? its a c channel steel painted trailer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: help with trailer tires.

I've had a good experience getting tires from here http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/trailertires/ If you've got somewhat crappy wheels then you may as well just get a tire/wheel combo. I got the Loadstars and am pleased with them. As far as I know, you only need to know your wheel diameter and number of lugs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Towmaster is a brand made by Greenball tires. In the past many of their tires were actually made by Goodyear. They are a quality brand. Your trailer probably weighs less than 500 pounds but use that number to be conservative.

I would just go to a local tire dealer to buy tires. If your rims are in good shape, you can just reuse them. My local guy can get the Greenball tires.

http://greenball.com/categories.php?category=1

robert graham

Admiral

The tire store where you get your car/truck tires can get and mount some radial Trailer Tires that are the same as what you've got on there. Call your tire guy and give him the sizes to be sure he's got them in stock or order them from his local warehouse in a day. I usually remove the tires/wheels from the trailer and just carry him those to mount/balance your new ones. While you've got the wheels off, it's a good time to inspect your trailer hubs, springs, bearings, seals, etc. Probably a good idea to repace those tires every 3 or 4 years anyway, since they dry-rot and flat-spot after sitting for so long. The rule: replace Before they separate/blow-out on the interstate at 70MPH! You should be able to get those 2 tires mounted and balanced for about $200.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about weight rating on the tires? i would need something that is rated for higher then say 3k lbs for the pair right? what is the difference between radial and ply tires?

how do i figure out that "size" i need? all the ones i see are listed like car tires with "165/50/14 or something. Mine do not have this listed on the tire.

I think the wheels are OK, but they are the white painted wheels. i may look into galvenized if the price isnt to high.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

a 205/75-14 tire will have a rating of around 1750. That would be more than adequate for what you have.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah for me they are 2 hours away.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

i measured them last night and it looks like a 205/70 tire would work, but they are 15in wheels. (bead to bead) what is a good tire brand to look for?

robert graham

Admiral

Take your tires/wheels to the tire store and he'll mount and balance some nice, new Radial Trailer Tires on for you. Walmart or Sam's could do this for you. It's that simple!

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take your tires/wheels to the tire store and he'll mount and balance some nice, new Radial Trailer Tires on for you. Walmart or Sam's could do this for you. It's that simple!

I know it is, but they are quoting a significant amount more for that "simplicity" If i can find them for $40 or more cheeper i would rather do that.

robert graham

Admiral

I suspect it's gonna run you right at $200 for tires, mounting and balancing...Sam's might be hard to beat on price and quality. You don't want some old Chinese May-Pops that's been sitting on a rack in the back of Armpit Tire Store for a year or more and already started to dry rot. A couple of blow-outs on the interstate will cure a guy from wanting to "cheap-out" on the tires!...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I know it is, but they are quoting a significant amount more for that "simplicity" If i can find them for $40 or more cheeper i would rather do that.

I just went thru the same scenario. I ended up buying a set from RecStuff.com. I got mounted tires on new rims for $2.10 a tire cheaper than buying tires locally and having them mounted on my old wheels. The tires i got were LoadStars, which are highly rated, and what I received were current manufacture (not old sitting around).

The service was excellent and the price was good. They were delivered 3 days after I placed the internet order.

Call them up and give them the tire size of your old ones and they will match them up.

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Beason, you don't measure from bead to bead. So 15" is wrong. Your current tire size is 14" as stated in your post. "S78-14."

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The tires on my trailer are starting to show some dry rot and i would like to get them replaced. the sidewalls say s78-14st, and they are "towmaster" brand, but i dont know what that means, or what size i should get to replace them. Towmaster is a fine brand. Get a 205/75/14

Can i get just tires, or is it better to get tires and wheels together? If your wheels are not rusted they are fine to be reused. I actually only get trailer tires mounted... no balancing and they do just fine. Save some cash too :)

What tire is the best bang for the buck? Prolly the towmasters or whatever your local tire shop has

1991 17ft searay bow rider. 2200lbs

Do i need radial, or ply tires? Radials are fine. The will have more pooch at the ground because the way they're made. But are more forgiving if ever ran slightly underflated. Bias tires will do... usually a bit cheaper. I think they dry rot a bit sooner than a radial

how much should the trailer weigh? its a c channel steel painted trailer. Something like 500 lbs. would be a close estimate.

Hope this helps!

bigesox11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you go from the 20565-14 to the 20575-14 they are going to be about 2" higher. You better make sure that you have the extra room needed. I have a 2004 Tracker DV and I do not have the needed clearance. The 20565-14 are tough to find.