What do I need in my tackle box?

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Its warming up, and last weekend I went out fishing with my wife and my friend and had 0 luck. Part of that is probably because the water is still a little too cold, but part of it could just be bad luck / poor preparation.

So I've been reading up more on in shore species and tactics (since that's where I figure I'll spend most of the time). In particular I notice I'm woefully under equipped. I don't have nearly 1% of the tackle options that are available, and I'm not sure where to start. Last summer we mostly bottom fished with dead shrimp, but I want to catch more than baby sharks and stingrays this year.

What do I need? Topwater, swimmers, divers, spoons, flies, etc, etc, etc....? I guess a few of each and experiment with what works? I did pick up some jig heads and some soft plastics, but that's only one option.

Next I'll need to figure out how to hook it all up, what kind and how much of a leader, that kind of stuff. But first I need to know what goes on the far end.

Things got much more complicated with a boat than they were when I was a kid fishing mackerel jigs off the dock up in Maine.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: What do I need in my tackle box?

I've said this before and I know people hate spending money up front but hire a local guide, tell him up front you want to focus on techniques and tackle, you will learn more in 4 hours than you will in five years of trial and error. The money you spend will be nothing compared to what it will save you.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Seconded the above.

When I moved to San Diego, I bought a boat and spent two years trying to figure out the fish. Then I befriended an 80-year old salt from a local fishing board who was getting too old to take himself out anymore. I learned more in one trip from him than I ever would have in many more years of going it alone. 10 years later and I still take him out a few times a year.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I grew up in Beaufort fishing the same waters you are fishing. I still go several times a year as my parents and sister are still there. As Capt. Sam said, make friends with someone who fishes or go with a guide. You can do it on your own by trial and error, which may be more fun anyway. Try live shrimp under a popping cork in the tidal creeks and flats for redfish and speckled trout. Berkeley Gulp! shrimp work just as well, too. Live finger mullet on a Carolina Rig works great for flounder around the tidal creek drainages. Get out in the big bays in the summer (where the Broad River and Chechessee river come together is my favorite) with live eels for Cobia and big sharks. Good luck, I miss living there!

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1/4 oz. jig heads and soft plastics. I love the curly tails in pearl white. It is a good all around lure that you can jig the bottom with or swim in the water column. You might want 1/8 oz. and 1/2 oz. depending on current. Also check out the mirrorlures (MR17) or any shad/menhaden looking lure. You should be catching drum, flounder, and trout if they are around. Hit up the marsh points, flats, drop offs and structure. Good luck!

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what fishing is really all about! I bet he enjoys teaching you as much as you enjoy learning from him.