1999 Volvo Penta 5.0 won't start

dmh165638

Recruit
Just bought a 1999 Glastron 195sx with Volvo Penta 5.0GL. Boat is a repo but only has about 25 hours and like new condition. Boat started and ran great on hose at lot yesterday but got it to the lake today and it will not start. Motor turns over strong, good fuel spray in carb, and good spark on a removed spark plug. I thought the gas may be bad so I disconnected the fuel line and tried to start with some fresh gas poured in the bowl. The engine doesn't even fire. Any ideas what else to check. I can't figure out why the boat doesn't even try to fire when it is getting gas and sparks seems good. Thanks in advance.

D

DJ

Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 5.0 won't start

dmh,<br /><br />You need four things to make it go.<br /><br />1. Fuel.<br />2. Air.<br />3. Compression.<br />4. Spark-at the right time.<br /><br />You're missing one of them. Check the spark with a timing light. Just because you have it, doesn't mean it's at the right time.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 5.0 won't start

I do not know the motor, but in general. Need Fuel, compression, a spark at right time and it should start. My motor has two 50 amp fuses near the starter if one of them blows will turn over but not start but i think also have no spark. I guess would check timing with a timing light, make sure all cylinders have spark, check distributer cap for any Water. Make sure choke is not stuck closed, dump a little fuel in carb, check compression. Good luck and please report back what fixed it.