Easiest way to drain oil on a 350?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I have a 1986 Formula 206 Spyder with a Mercruiser 260/Alpha One, same year. After starting another thread I was told I need to drain the oil from my motor, and I am remembering what a pain it was last time because the drain bolt is on the bottom of the oil pan. Is there an easy way to get the oil out of there? I can't seem to fit an oil pan in there. Last time I ended up dropping oil all over the bilge and it took me hours to get it all out of there. Is there a way to get it out through the drain plug? Maybe a special oil pan? Anything that helps me avoid spilling oil would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

pvancorenland

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Easiest way to drain oil on a 350?

Get an engine oil change pump. It can be purchased at most marine and auto stores. There are automatic ones, power drill driven ones and manual ones.
You basically suck the oil out from the dipstick opening. It's very clean and efficient.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Get an oil change pump, 'n pump it out the dipstick tube....

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Alright, I'll head to autozone later today and get an oil change pump. Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Alright, I'll head to autozone later today and get an oil change pump. Thanks for the help.

Donno if they can help ya,... Donno their Marine selection...

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am on my fourth oil change pump, and finally have a good one. I had one that you put on the end of a drill, it worked, but it was a pain to use. I had 2 little 12v ones(looked like a small 12v car air compressor). They both lasted 2 seasons, than quit. Two years ago I finally spent more and bought a manual vacuum pump. You pump the handle 3 or 4 times, Walk away for 20 minutes, and it slowly but surely sucks all the oil out of the engine. Works great, wish I had spent the extra 20 or 30 dollars the first time.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Those oil pumps work, but the cheap ones don't last very long and the expensive ones are, well, expensive!
If you have a trailer an oil pan drain kit is a good alternative. It's basically a short hose that replaces the oil pan plug. Just stick it out thru the bilge drain and open it up.
They can be a hassle to install but make it clean and quick to do oil changes. Iboats probably sells 'em.
oildrainkit.jpg